XF 1.1 Remembering last read post in threads

Deebs

Having recently migrated to XF myself and the members are experiencing issues with last unread. From feedback and personal experience this is what we have found:
  • Create a new thread, make some posts, others members post, if you go back to the thread as long as there is an unread post it takes you to it. If you then go read other stuff and then decide to go back to a thread you had previously viewed by clicking the thread title it displays the first post and there is no "goto first unread" button.
Are we missing something here? We are finding it extremely frustrating having to click a thread title, then click the last page number and then scroll all the way down to the last post. I know I can click the time under the last poster to get to the last post but everyone is used to being able to click the thread title and being sent to the last position regardless of new posts.

here is an unread post it takes you to it. If you then go read other stuff and then decide to go back to a thread you had previously viewed by clicking the thread title it displays the first post and there is no "goto first unread" button.
How can there be a "goto first unread" link once you've read it and there are no unread posts?

Clicking the date stamp in the "Latest" column will take you to the last post.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/impossible-to-start-reading-unread-thread-from-first-post.1136/

Isn't that the opposite of what I described? My problem is that I have read a thread to the very end, someone makes a post, I click the thread title, I get taken to the unread post. I then go read other stuff, reclick the previous thread but as it has no unread posts it takes me to the beginning and not the end.

You can always edit the thread_list_item template, adjusting this code to suit:

Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/unread'}", $thread}"
                    title="{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', {xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}}"
                    class="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, PreviewTooltip}"
                    data-previewUrl="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, {xen:link threads/preview, $thread}}">{xen:helper wrap, $thread.title, 50}</a>
                <xen:if is="{$thread.isNew}"><a href="{xen:link threads/unread, $thread}" class="unreadLink" title="{xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}"></a></xen:if>

How can there be a "goto first unread" link once you've read it and there are no unread posts?

Clicking the date stamp in the "Latest" column will take you to the last post.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/impossible-to-start-reading-unread-thread-from-first-post.1136/
Yeh my bad :)

It would be great if XF could have tracking code so that when you click a thread title that you have read to the very end it takes you there and not the beginning.

You can always edit the thread_list_item template, adjusting this code to suit:

Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/unread'}", $thread}"
                    title="{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', {xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}}"
                    class="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, PreviewTooltip}"
                    data-previewUrl="{xen:if $thread.hasPreview, {xen:link threads/preview, $thread}}">{xen:helper wrap, $thread.title, 50}</a>
                <xen:if is="{$thread.isNew}"><a href="{xen:link threads/unread, $thread}" class="unreadLink" title="{xen:phrase go_to_first_unread_message}"></a></xen:if>
I'll go play. Thanks Brogan.

Top Bottom