Registration - emails

Drae

My forum that I'm moving over to Xenforo requires members to sometimes have additional accounts (depending on how many characters they play as we're a writing RPG). Is it possible to allow more than one account to be linked up to the same email?

I'm sure it would be possible with an add-on, but by default and as per most websites, e-mail addresses must be unique.

This may be of interest:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/quick-account-switch.843/

This allows your users to link accounts to their own, and provide a quick switch option. Each account would need its own unique e-mail address (unless you have an add-on that removes that requirement) but this may help your users switch to their other accounts quickly and easily.

email addresses need to be unique in xenforo, because you're also able to login with them...

if they wouldn't be unique, the system couldn't associate any user to the login data;)

Thanks for your replies, guys. This will likely cause my community issues then because we've had accounts done Account Per Character since 2008. Switching to Account Per Player isn't going to be well received and will mean more work for me when we convert due to how everything runs at present. APP also attracts less potential members than APC, which can affect our members' fun.

Is there no known way for the admin to override it in some way in the ACP? This could actually force me to look at other forum software, and I really don't want to do that :eek:

At the moment I use Zetaboards, Before that we were on Invisionfree - both supported it. Most of the free hosted sites do allow it via the admin CP as well (Jcink, Proboards included in that). A few self-hosted sites do as well (usually those with linkable accounts).

There are thousands of writing roleplay forums on the free hosted forums (just check out RPG-Directory.com once they've finished converting to XF). Various factors work into attracting new members, but account per character has proven through play-by-post admin discussions on RPGD (and other places like that) that APC is more popular and that potential members will overlook APC if they prefer APP, but that for those who will overlook it, hundreds of forum-based roleplayers won't join if it is Account Per Player. We have 200+ awards as well, and some of them are earned in-character as well as for out-of-character actions. I've figured out how Xenforo can support the stuff an admin would give without it being automated so that's no longer an issue, but we do have quite a few things to rework if we do still go ahead with swapping over.

That's true. We've had a natter and we've decided not to let this affect us getting Xenforo :D Thanks for your help guys!

What would happen to accounts when we convert due to there being accounts with the same emails?

Top Bottom