XF 1.1 Registered Users

tekgirl

Ok - I keep having permissions questions, but...I have a registered users group. I have registered users. I set the registered users group permissions. why aren't those permissions inherited? It seems like I have to go to each user and set their permissions. I just don't get why I have to do this, inless I am missing something.

maybe I should explain it better...and I have read the permissions info many times. I just had 20 people sign up for my forum - it just went live. The admin has to approve users. So I approve all 20 and now they are in the Registered Users group. I have set the permissions already for this group. when I List Users and click on the permissions button, the permissions are not what I have already set, but they are all set to "Not Set" - so then I have to go and set the permissions one by one...

I have to be doing something wrong and not understanding how this works...can someone please help? I cannot keep having to do this - too mnay people joining.

Thanks

why aren't those permissions inherited? It seems like I have to go to each user and set their permissions. I just don't get why I have to do this, inless I am missing something.
I have already explained this to you on your other thread asking the same thing.

User specific permissions will only show if you have explicitly set Allow or Never for the user.
Otherwise they are inherited from the groups they are members of and everything will remain as Not Set (No).

You need to undo all the user specific permissions you have set and just let them inherit from the user groups automatically.

Brogan, I'm not usually this thick and have set up many, many forums, albeit all in ASP, so you may have explained it to me and I thought I understood it, but I guess I still had questions.

So to save us both some grief, and I do think I have grasped it now, let me just make sure.

My users initially go into the unregistered users and then move into the registered users when approved. So are they inheriting the permissions first of the unregistered users? And then the permissions change once they become registered users? But the individual permissions are reflecting the NOT Set permissions of the unregistered group and I should just leave everything alone because that is the way it is supposed to work? So when I see the permissions of the newly registered users with the NOT Set permissions, it is ok, since they are now inheriting from the registered group and I don't need to worry about individual permissions? Just making sure.

Thanks

Precisely.

All visitors who are not logged in have the permissions which are set in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group.

Once registered and approved (i.e. by clicking on the link in the email or being manually approved) they will move to the Registered group as their primary group. They will get all of their permissions from that group.
If you add them to any other groups, their permission combination will depend on the various settings in each group.

In all cases, all of the individual user permissions will remain Not Set (No).

Only users which have explicitly had permissions set manually (Allow or Never) will show any changes.

FYI, this was originally called Inherit but people were confused by it so it was changed to Not Set (No)...

Edit: I was just chatting with Mike and he put it like this, which may make it easier to understand:
Mike said:
Individual user permissions don't "reflect" group permissions - they're not showing you the actual permissions. It's an interface to set permission overrides for users.

Just to emphasize, the individual permissions for users page is for setting overrides - it does not show your their existing permissions. By default, everything here will be "not set".

Awesome - thank you so much - I now understand it and will leave you alone ;) I wasn't getting why the permissions from the registered group were not showing in the individual permissions on the users page. But I get it now...

Top Bottom