XF 1.5 Registered Feeds Stopped Working/Now Show Admin Error

John71

Hi, The Registered Feeds suddenly stopped working. I deleted the one feed I use and tried to create a new one. When I try to preview the feed it shows me this error.

The following error occurred:
An exception occurred: Mysqli prepare error: MySQL server has gone away in /home/mydir/public_html/forums/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 77

1. Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_prepare() in Zend/Db/Statement.php at line 115
  2. Zend_Db_Statement->__construct() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php at line 381
  3. Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->prepare() in Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php at line 478
  4. Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query() in XenForo/Model.php at line 219
  5. XenForo_Model->fetchAllKeyed() in XenForo/Model/AdminNavigation.php at line 31
  6. XenForo_Model_AdminNavigation->getAdminNavigationEntries() in XenForo/Model/AdminNavigation.php at line 405
  7. XenForo_Model_AdminNavigation->getAdminNavigationForDisplay() in XenForo/Dependencies/Admin.php at line 227
  8. XenForo_Dependencies_Admin->_getNavigationContainerParams() in XenForo/Dependencies/Admin.php at line 205
  9. XenForo_Dependencies_Admin->getEffectiveContainerParams() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 635
  10. XenForo_FrontController->renderView() in XenForo/FrontController.php at line 158
  11. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/jshallo/public_html/forums/admin.php at line 13
I have done some checking around and everything else seems to be working fine. Just this?
Any idea?

Does it take a while for this error to appear? This is likely because the particular feed is very slow. The error here isn't related to the feed itself, but your MySQL wait_timeout setting. That should probably be no lower than 60. (It would need to be changed in /etc/my.cnf, but you'll need root access.)

If a feed is suddenly not working, it may indicate that the server is down or there's something blocking your request. It's difficult to know as this error is effectively covering the other one. What's the feed URL?

When I load that feed in my browser, it seems to be downloading for a long time, but that might be a quirk with Chrome reformatting the output. It didn't seem to happen in Firefox.

Perhaps more significantly, this is a very large feed. Locally, it takes about 9 seconds for me to preview it. I suspect most of that work is download the feed and parsing it into a useful format. It could certainly be slower depending on your server config.

Increasing MySQL's wait_timeout setting may help in this case (or at least expose the explicit error).

Top Bottom