XF 2.0 Register problem

ge66

I tested to register on my site.
First I used a name that was already used. I filled in all the other fields correctly and pressed the button. It then works for about 30 seconds it then stops, still on the same page, with "Question and Answer"-answer removed. No other information about errors or created account.

Tested again with an ok username this time is exactly the same as last time. But when I check in an other browser the user-account is created, it worked.

Both times there was no information about errors or success. Working 30 seconds and then returning to the same page.
I don't know if I have some setting making it work like this, thought it was:

Others @ALMUSA seem to have had similar problems:

I've moved this out of bugs because currently this needs further troubleshooting. I'm not sure if @ALMUSA is still experiencing the same issue, if so we'd probably be best to merge the threads.

Do you have any idea when this started, and had anything changed before it did. ALMUSA suggested that it was a server move which triggered it, anything like that apply here?

First and foremost, you would need to make available a fully default, unedited XF style (recreate this by creating a new style with no parent) and test with all add-ons disabled.

But, ultimately, there is nothing in XF that would make the initial registration AJAX request take as long as this. Even after the page appears to stop responding, it's a good 20-30 seconds before the registration email is received. XF doesn't do a lot of work during registration, it should be something that finishes within around 5 seconds. If your server is taking many seconds longer than that, then it suggests either there's additional code running, or some bottleneck somewhere within the server itself.

You seem to be right about it being server related.
Just did the same tests on my localhost test installation. There I got the error message and message about confirm mail being sent. And it took a couple of seconds both times.

Do you have any idea what on my debian vps that can be the problem or where to start looking.

@Chris D I think I have found the problem, my server is managed and pretty well locked down. It seems StopForumSpam can't be reached from the server, guess it tries for 30 seconds and then skips showing messages, but still creates the account.
Are there any way xenforo could handle that kind of problems?

There are some approaches we could take, though arguably the best solution is to either you can communicate with SFS or disable it, which can be done in "Spam management" under Options in the Admin CP.

I think it has something to do with email handling. If you disable email confirmation and capacha the registration works fine but if they are on the page would loop and stops on the registration form once you refresh the page the registration gets completed but no confirmation message is shown. While you are at it If you repeat the step it will tell that the username and email is already in use and You did not complete the CAPTCHA verification properly message keeps throwing that although CAPTCHA is completed correctly. It is the case now in one of my site, on the other site it takes long time but the registration gets through and the email confirmation ends up in the junk/spam folder. It used to be the case as @ge66 put it out. I am on xf default style with no add-on used.

There are some approaches we could take, though arguably the best solution is to either you can communicate with SFS or disable it, which can be done in "Spam management" under Options in the Admin CP.
I solved it yesterday when I wrote my message by disabling it, it was that way I figured it out.
What I mean with if you could do anything, was if something could be done about unreachable sites in this and other places of xf, either showing some sort of message that it is unreachable or when it is not reached see to that error or success messages are shown.

Top Bottom