Reduce FontAwesome icon font file size

Reduce FontAwesome icon font file size

i imagine 2.2 would be using a bunch of new icons. because of the new thread types, editor update and other changes. might have discard old ones.

Beyond that, there's no core_fa.less file any more. It's been replaced with a pre-compiled fa.css template, so changes would need to be applied to that. (Note that this also pre-minified.)

This change was primarily to speed up core CSS compilation (and significantly reduce the memory overhead of it).

Beyond that, there's no core_fa.less file any more. It's been replaced with a pre-compiled fa.css template, so changes would need to be applied to that. (Note that this also pre-minified.)

This change was primarily to speed up core CSS compilation (and significantly reduce the memory overhead of it).
you saved my time, I was just going to apply this cure to 2.2. thanks.

Is there an automated way to figure out what fa icons my site currently uses so that I don't remove them by accident?

Is there a way to temporarily remove/disable all FA icons in my forum so I can feel the speed difference with and without
FA?

Just created a directory named backup and have all font files moved into it. The difference is not obvious. Maybe I'll try again later.

Clear your cache so the files need to download from scratch. That first page hit us the worst for viewers.... All the js,css, images

Even more noticeable on mobile networks. High speed wired broadband won't show that much difference. Check in incognito/privates browser mode.

this might give an idea lol. i think the graph starts dipping around the same time when i moved to 2.2. i was running shrunk font files on 2.1. i am a bit confused about the instructions to follow for 2.2 so haven't dabbled yet.

WyNIGQM.jpeg

this might give an idea lol. i think the graph starts dipping around the same time when i moved to 2.2. i was running shrunk font files on 2.1. i am a bit confused about the instructions to follow for 2.2 so haven't dabbled yet.

Just checked my stats and a also big drop since upgrading to 2.2 in terms of core stats - reducing the size of these fonts made a big impact.

@Mike are you aware of any mechanism that I could run that would find any instances of fontawesome icon references? The pre-compiled setup_fa.less template lists every icon, but I was wondering if searching through all templates for "fa-" would be enough to catch all of the icons we need to recomplile the .woff2 for XF2.2. As you've got intimate knowledge of the software, do you think that might work?

That is up to you. If you use a style with the default icons it is pretty straightforward and worth the effort imo.

Top Bottom