XF 2.2 Redirects are killing my forum!

RichDevman

I believe these redirects are from the initial move from Vbulletin, though I'm not sure. Is there any way to address this? Tens of thousands of urls are not being indexed. Many of the urls are like this: ###########/threads/217428/ and they redirect to a thread with a title.

redirect.webp

Yeah, these threads are being indexed as the "SEO friendly" urls. They are still showing up as redirects and duplicate as well in the Google search console. It's not ideal.

The other issue with xenforo is that by default is external links are marked no follow. I have no idea why that was implemented.

I really don't think there is one. I think its possible for a new site to set up the link structure differently but for a week established site I wouldn't want to risk losing thousands of urls that are indexed and backlinks.

The other issue with xenforo is that by default is external links are marked no follow. I have no idea why that was implemented.
There's a user group permission Bypass "nofollow" in submitted content links you can set for the user group.
Many of the urls are like this: ###########/threads/217428/ and they redirect to a thread with a title.
Admin Panel -> Setup -> Options -> Search engine optimization (SEO) -> Include content title in URLs
You must have had this turned OFF and then you turned it ON.

Page with Redirect in Google Search Console isn't the issue. It's just a report telling you what pages 301 redirect. The 301'd URLs aren't meant to be indexed, it's the destination pages that should be indexed.

There's a user group permission Bypass "nofollow" in submitted content links you can set for the user group.

Admin Panel -> Setup -> Options -> Search engine optimization (SEO) -> Include content title in URLs
You must have had this turned OFF and then you turned it ON.

Page with Redirect in Google Search Console isn't the issue. It's just a report telling you what pages 301 redirect. The 301'd URLs aren't meant to be indexed, it's the destination pages that should be indexed.
I know about the bypass. It is great to be able to change the permissions for urls by user group but the entire site is by default no follow. Not just threads and posts.

The problem with the redirects is that Google is seeing these threads as duplicate content. I have that option on ever since I moved from vbulletin.

The problem isn't the console. The problem is that tens of thousands of urls are not indexed. Either due to being duplicate or redirects.

Thanks

You mean this one that's not turned on ?

View attachment 291254
Yes, that controls the URL structure mentioned in the first post:
Code:
###########/threads/217428/
The entire site is by default no follow. Not just threads and posts.
Where and how are you adding links for that to happen? That doesn't seem right.
The problem with the redirects is that Google is seeing these threads as duplicate content. I have that option on ever since I moved from vbulletin.
The only way that'll be true is if your vBulletin forum is still live. A 301 redirect isn't a "live page" where content is loaded (so it can't be a duplicate). It redirects you to a destination page and you'll never hit the content from the old URL.
The problem isn't the console. The problem is that tens of thousands of urls are not indexed. Either due to being duplicate or redirects.
If you feel like the issue is with the VB -> XF redirect, contact the person who set up the redirects for you to investigate if it's an issue or not. Check and see how many redirects it makes to reach the destination page.

But what's listed in the Google Search Console isn't telling you that's the reason why your pages aren't indexed. That's just a report that picks up ANY links you're 301 redirecting.

Yes, that controls the URL structure mentioned in the first post:
Code:
###########/threads/217428/

Where and how are you adding links for that to happen? That doesn't seem right.

The only way that'll be true is if your vBulletin forum is still live. A 301 redirect isn't a "live page" where content is loaded (so it can't be a duplicate). It redirects you to a destination page and you'll never hit the content from the old URL.

If you feel like the issue is with the VB -> XF redirect, contact the person who set up the redirects for you to investigate if it's an issue or not. Check and see how many redirects it makes to reach the destination page.

But what's listed in the Google Search Console isn't telling you that's the reason why your pages aren't indexed. That's just a report that picks up ANY links you're 301 redirecting.
You are correct. Not all links are no follow. Just in threads and posts.

Top Bottom