• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Redirection Scripts for vBulletin 3.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have vBulletin 4 installed in my old location which is using vBSEO. I had plans to uninstall vBSEO and use the default URL structure, then use these tools to redirect those links to the XF links. Is this currently possible or is it only available for vB3?

I believe if you start reading this part of post #1 of this thread, your question might be answered. At least it was for me.
Version 2 - December 9th 2010

Sorry I posed my question wrong. I have the two directory redirects working fine based off Kiers original v2 files. But I just need a 301 redirect (apache style) to have it so that when users type in my old url it goes to the new one. Currently the old pages, threads, and forums point to xF. It's just the base URL that doesn't :)

Not sure if anyone has reported this (potential) bug, but attempting to view the highest level forum (forumdisplay.php) redirects to the wrong xenForo path.

Example, clicking on "Newbie Channel" on my VB3 forum redirects to
community/forums/3/

the actual link should be:
community/categories/newbie-channel.10/

So if you bypassed all of this conversion complexity, with an established (authority) forum with decent serps, and just let Google reindex the new structure - what would happen? how long would it take to get your rankings back?

I don't want to blow all my traffic (revenue) but all of this seems like it may be complicated and unnecessary. It only took me a few weeks to get my traffic back when I changed from stock vB 3.8 to vBSEO'd urls...

Has anyone tried it?

So if you bypassed all of this conversion complexity, with an established (authority) forum with decent serps, and just let Google reindex the new structure - what would happen? how long would it take to get your rankings back?

I don't want to blow all my traffic (revenue) but all of this seems like it may be complicated and unnecessary. It only took me a few weeks to get my traffic back when I changed from stock vB 3.8 to vBSEO'd urls...

Has anyone tried it?
I've thought about that too, but it really isn't as complicated as you might think, it's actually a pretty straight forward procedure. Also the problem with having Google re-index without 301-redirections is that internal (vBSEO) URLs posted on your forums will be dead. Also old URLs posted on other sites to yours will be dead. So it's better to redirect your old vB(SEO) URLs.

Has anyone tried it?
Don't forget that the search engine itself is only part of the goal here - if you abandon your current URL scheme and wait for Google to reindex your site, it might be months before all references to the old URLs disappear from Google, during which time you're going to have an awful lot of visitors from search hitting 404s on your site. The redirection scripts solve this problem quickly and easily.

Don't forget that the search engine itself is only part of the goal here - if you abandon your current URL scheme and wait for Google to reindex your site, it might be months before all references to the old URLs disappear from Google, during which time you're going to have an awful lot of visitors from search hitting 404s on your site. The redirection scripts solve this problem quickly and easily.

Kier, what's currently missing from the vb3 redirection scripts is the vb archive....

No, the archive is not included in the redirection scripts.

Yes, the archive is included in the redirection scripts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom