• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Redirection Scripts for Invision Power Board 3.1.x/3.2.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiiragi, the idea is to allow old links to your IPB to point to their new equivalents on XenForo. Therefore, your XF does not need to know anything about your IPB, it just responds to requests for content as usual.

However, your IPB directory needs to contain the .htaccess file, ips2xf.php and 301config.php files from the archive, which will intercept links pointing to the IPB content and redirect them to the XF installation instead. All you need to do is fill in the required values in the 301config.php file.

I think I'm missing a piece of information that is making it a bit confusing for me. I guess the main issue would be that my IPB is not web accessible. Does the script assume different directories as:

domain.com -> /var/site
XF installation -> /var/site/xf​
IPB -> /var/site/ipb​

instead of

domain.com -> /var/xfsite
inaccessible -> /var/ipbsite

My understanding is that for the scripts and .htaccess in the IPB folder to work requires it to be web accessible. However, even if it was (assuming different directories), it would likely be under a subdomain in order to put it out which would make the redirects based off of the subdomain... I think?

In any case, thanks for answering my questions, Kier.

Mikey, do you mind if I use the login credentials you gave me in your support ticket to investigate that error?

I think I'm missing a piece of information that is making it a bit confusing for me. I guess the main issue would be that my IPB is not web accessible. Does the script assume different directories as:

domain.com -> /var/site
XF installation -> /var/site/xf​
IPB -> /var/site/ipb​

instead of

domain.com -> /var/xfsite
inaccessible -> /var/ipbsite

My understanding is that for the scripts and .htaccess in the IPB folder to work requires it to be web accessible. However, even if it was (assuming different directories), it would likely be under a subdomain in order to put it out which would make the redirects based off of the subdomain... I think?

In any case, thanks for answering my questions, Kier.
I'm not sure I entirely understand - how was your IPB usable if it was not web accessible? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

I'm not sure I entirely understand - how was your IPB usable if it was not web accessible? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here.

Ah, it ended up not web accessible when I swapped to XF because I changed the document root to the xfsite directory away from the ipbsite directory making my IPB no longer web accessible. I guess that's where my misunderstanding about the script comes in to play. In my first structure example I guess it would have been domain.com/xf would lead to my xf installation and domain.com/ipb would have lead to my ipb installation.

However, as it is right now, domain.com leads to my xf installation whereas domain.com used to lead to my ipb installation before I converted.

Ah, it ended up not web accessible when I swapped to XF because I changed the document root to the xfsite directory away from the ipbsite directory making my IPB no longer web accessible. I guess that's where my misunderstanding about the script comes in to play. In my first structure example I guess it would have been domain.com/xf would lead to my xf installation and domain.com/ipb would have lead to my ipb installation.

However, as it is right now, domain.com leads to my xf installation whereas domain.com used to lead to my ipb installation before I converted.
If you want to open a support ticket and provide FTP, or ideally SSH details, I will look to see if I can get things working for you.

Have some problems with this. I have invision was installed in \forum and now xenforo is instead in \forum ... I had rewrite rules on for friendly URLs (not sure if these are affected when replacing .htaccess?)

OK ... first I overwrote the .htaccess file with the one in this along with uploading the other 2 ...... Got an ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS message when I tried to revisit any page. The only way I could even get into my admincp was to remove the .htaccess file.

Try number 2

Added the $fileDir variable to the 301config file with the path set to /home/huskyown/public_html/forum which is where my xenforo installation is, and invision installation was

Defined constant as define('IMPORT_LOG_TABLE', 'archived_import_log');

Still getting ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS so have had to remove, but obviously want to get this set up as soon as poss for search engine stuff ...... ELP!!! :)

Logged a support ticket on this one. Had no redirects since sat and cant get friendly urls to work as they are intended either :(

Version 4 released today. If your redirects are already working, there is no need to update. Only replace your existing scripts if you have a problem.

Okay here goes, I didn't realize this existed and therefore just removed my IPB installation and created my xenforo. Trouble is that Google now hates me and has cached the old URL's which now don't exist but they are still in Google index cache, thus my new forums aren't being indexed as they've come back as "duplicate content" - Is there a way I can amend the current .htaccess to setup individual 301 redirects from the old URL's to the new ones?

I've pondered just leaving it to 404 and have google clean it up, but according to google staff (GWMF) it'll take a life-time for the google cache to drop my already indexed pages, then a further decade for google to re-index me.

Okay here goes, I didn't realize this existed and therefore just removed my IPB installation and created my xenforo. Trouble is that Google now hates me and has cached the old URL's which now don't exist but they are still in Google index cache, thus my new forums aren't being indexed as they've come back as "duplicate content" - Is there a way I can amend the current .htaccess to setup individual 301 redirects from the old URL's to the new ones?

I've pondered just leaving it to 404 and have google clean it up, but according to google staff (GWMF) it'll take a life-time for the google cache to drop my already indexed pages, then a further decade for google to re-index me.
I'm not sure I understand - 301 redirects from your old content URLs to your new ones is exactly what this system does, there should be no problem deploying the system now to do that.

I'm not sure I understand - 301 redirects from your old content URLs to your new ones is exactly what this system does, there should be no problem deploying the system now to do that.
Even though IPB doesn't exist, and no database, aswell as no xf_import_log ? (xenforo was a clean install, not a conversion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom