1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

recovering DVD data from 2 damaged dvds at different places

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Slavik, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Right, this one is a bit tricky.

I have 2 identical disks, both of them have exactly the same information on them however each of them has a problem with the disk in a seperate location from the other.

Ie, if I start the install with 1 disk, it will get so far then come up with a read error, the read error does not go away and the only solution is to load the other disk in to finish the install.

The same happens vice versa... though at a different stage.

I need a way to create an iso of these disk without the errors.

Anyone know an iso creating program that when it gets to the read error, will let me swap the disk and finish with the other, or have an ingenious way of solving the problem?
  2. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

Are these system discs? If not, you don't need to create an ISO. Just copy the first disc to your hard drive and when you get to the unreadable file, skip it. Then copy the second one to the same spot, overwriting the file(s) that were missed in the first copy. Then burn the files back to a DVD disc, or install directly from the copied location.
  3. Slavik

They are system disks.
  4. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

What is the software you are trying to do this with?(what software are you trying to rebuild from two disks)
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried getting one of the disks skimmed?

If it's a surface imperfection and not too deep, that may resolve it.
  6. Dodgeboard

Dodgeboard Well-Known Member

I've never used it. Let me know if it works.
  7. Slavik

8. Slavik

Unfortunately no dice, gonna try a combination of copying the files manually from the disk into the iso image and recovery software.