recovering DVD data from 2 damaged dvds at different places

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Right, this one is a bit tricky.

I have 2 identical disks, both of them have exactly the same information on them however each of them has a problem with the disk in a seperate location from the other.

Ie, if I start the install with 1 disk, it will get so far then come up with a read error, the read error does not go away and the only solution is to load the other disk in to finish the install.

The same happens vice versa... though at a different stage.

I need a way to create an iso of these disk without the errors.

Anyone know an iso creating program that when it gets to the read error, will let me swap the disk and finish with the other, or have an ingenious way of solving the problem?

Are these system discs? If not, you don't need to create an ISO. Just copy the first disc to your hard drive and when you get to the unreadable file, skip it. Then copy the second one to the same spot, overwriting the file(s) that were missed in the first copy. Then burn the files back to a DVD disc, or install directly from the copied location.

Are these system discs? If not, you don't need to create an ISO. Just copy the first disc to your hard drive and when you get to the unreadable file, skip it. Then copy the second one to the same spot, overwriting the file(s) that were missed in the first copy. Then burn the files back to a DVD disc, or install directly from the copied location.

They are system disks.

Have you tried getting one of the disks skimmed?

If it's a surface imperfection and not too deep, that may resolve it.

http://www.gnu.org/s/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Automatic merging of backups: If you have two or more damaged copies of a file, cdrom, etc, and run ddrescue on all of them, one at a time, with the same output file, you will probably obtain a complete and error-free file. This is so because the probability of having damaged areas at the same places on different input files is very low. Using the logfile, only the needed blocks are read from the second and successive copies.

Recordable CD and DVD media keep their data only for a finite time (typically for many years). After that time, data loss develops slowly with read errors growing from the outer media region towards the inside. Just make two (or more) copies of every important CD/DVD you burn so that you can later recover them with ddrescue. .

I've never used it. Let me know if it works.

Unfortunately no dice, gonna try a combination of copying the files manually from the disk into the iso image and recovery software.

Top Bottom