Recommended Settings and Keeping Disk Space At Minimum?

DaveAllen

I am strongly considering purchasing this add-on and was interested if anyone can recommend some standard settings. (sizes allowed, etc)

While my server has some decent disk space (2 TB) I am still a little concerned for having my drive eaten up from just a few users who will fill it up with massive photos and videos.

... Has anyone had problems with offering this to users? Can anyone recommend reasonable settings that many use for sizes, disk quota, etc?

... What is best practices to minimize problems of server disk space.

... Does this have options to store the media off site such as at Amazon S3 or google developer storage?

I really like this idea of users having an easy way to upload images and such but don't want to kill my server fast either.

Thanks Much!

It's difficult to make specific recommendations because it depends on your disk space, number of users and many other factors.

I suggest checking out the demo to see what options there are.

You can control the maximum image dimensions at the permissions level. Images above that size will be resized automatically.

You can set disk usage quotas at the permissions level also.

If disk space is a cost issue for you you could tie the above into user upgrades so users have to pay more to store more.

There's no off site storage options built in but that is available through a third party add on, Attachment Store.

I migrated from VB to xenforo.
Having around 300k of picture in VB.
As the restriction there was 800x600 i extend it to 1024x1024 here on this Software. Because looks nicer in post.
Now i am at around 330k of picture taking a disk space of 45gb. As i have the same size of your disk i am not really concerned to fill it up quickly.

Storage Quota i use only for normal members 50MB.
After this they went into another usergroup with no quota.

Maximum File Size is 5MB by the resolution of 1024x1024.

Till now no issue about this.

Wait we have some explanation somewhere.

It`s from this Resource.

Important info for photo communities:

The problem:
  • If you set the "Maximum Attachment File Size" too small (e.g. the default 1 MB) your users are frustrated because a typical photo today is larger and they get an error message. Then they either give up or use one of the online picture tools
  • If you use a higher setting (e.g. 10 MB) the users are happy because they can upload all their photos, but now the admin has a problem due to increased disk space usage, increased backup time, increased traffic

The solution:
  • Set the "Maximum Attachment File Size" to something useable (e.g. 10 MB)
  • Set "Maximum Attachment Image Dimensions" to e.g. 800x600 pixels or 1200x1000 pixels
This way the users are able to upload large photos but Xenforo automatically resizes the photo after the upload to the maximum dimension!

An example:

Photo xyz.jpg
File size 4 MB
Original: 2816x2112 = 5.947.392

Maximum set to 1200x1000 = 1.200.000

Photo will be resized to 1200x900 and uses only 350 KB.

Top Bottom