1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommended Settings and Keeping Disk Space At Minimum?

Discussion in 'Media Gallery Support' started by DaveAllen, May 20, 2015.

1. DaveAllen

DaveAllen Member

I am strongly considering purchasing this add-on and was interested if anyone can recommend some standard settings. (sizes allowed, etc)

While my server has some decent disk space (2 TB) I am still a little concerned for having my drive eaten up from just a few users who will fill it up with massive photos and videos.

... Has anyone had problems with offering this to users? Can anyone recommend reasonable settings that many use for sizes, disk quota, etc?

... What is best practices to minimize problems of server disk space.

... Does this have options to store the media off site such as at Amazon S3 or google developer storage?

I really like this idea of users having an easy way to upload images and such but don't want to kill my server fast either.

Thanks Much!

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

It's difficult to make specific recommendations because it depends on your disk space, number of users and many other factors.

I suggest checking out the demo to see what options there are.

You can control the maximum image dimensions at the permissions level. Images above that size will be resized automatically.

You can set disk usage quotas at the permissions level also.

If disk space is a cost issue for you you could tie the above into user upgrades so users have to pay more to store more.

There's no off site storage options built in but that is available through a third party add on, Attachment Store.

DaveAllen likes this.
  3. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

I migrated from VB to xenforo.
    Having around 300k of picture in VB.
    As the restriction there was 800x600 i extend it to 1024x1024 here on this Software. Because looks nicer in post.
    Now i am at around 330k of picture taking a disk space of 45gb. As i have the same size of your disk i am not really concerned to fill it up quickly.

DaveAllen likes this.
  4. DaveAllen

DaveAllen Member

Thanks @Chris D - That all makes sense. Sounds like the Attachment Store will help me take care of S3 Storage down the road.
    Thanks also to @teletubbi - Appreciate your example usage. I think that this add-on will suite me well.

5. DaveAllen

DaveAllen Member

@teletubbi - Was curious what you are using for the following settings:
    • Maximum Storage Quota
    • Maximum File Size (MB)

6. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

Storage Quota i use only for normal members 50MB.
    After this they went into another usergroup with no quota.

Maximum File Size is 5MB by the resolution of 1024x1024.

Till now no issue about this.

7. DaveAllen

DaveAllen Member

Thanks much, that max file size is what I was really stumped on. I will try your settings.

8. teletubbi

teletubbi Active Member

Wait we have some explanation somewhere.

It`s from this Resource.

9. DaveAllen

DaveAllen Member

Excellent, thanks for the resource. Makes total sense!

10. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member