Recommend hosting

thunderup

Over the course of the past three months, I have probably had the following error around 10-15 times:
"An Unexpected Database Error Has Occured. Please Check Back Later"

It is a white page with just that text along the top.

My other website linked to the same hosting account never loses downtime (it does not have a forum , is simply a splash page at the moment)

I talked with my webhost and a few times they said the server was taking on high volumes so that may have been the cause.

It just happened twice in about 30 minutes once it lasted for about 15 mins, the second time it lasted a minute or two... My webhost this time said he thinks I was reaching the set "25 process limit" and that this could have caused it (but they won't give a definite answer).
When I go to my cPanel it said there were about 5 process out of the 25 taking place. But they say that isn't reliable and usually 3 or 4 hours behind.

I can't be having this downtime, is it a server side issue or an issue with my XF database connection?

Would you suggest me going with VPS or Dedicated hosting (where there is no process limit) rather than Shared? Thanks!

It's undoubtedly a server-related problem due to being on a shared package.

You are sharing the resources with many other users and resources are limited and capped for shared accounts.

You will need to increase your hosting to resolve this.

Thought so, thanks Brogan

Now the question is .. What sort of Bandwidth / CPU / Ram would you suggest for a massive community running XF along with a main website utilizing RSS feeds ?

I'd just overestimate at 100,000 users ... 10,000 hits daily, lots of traffic

I've moved your thread to the server and hosting forum, which is the best place for it, and updated the title (let me know if you want it renaming to something else).

Thanks Brogan.
Do you guys think this would be enough to meet my requirements listed above:
1.13GHZ / 768 MB Ram / 30 GB Space / 500 GB Bandwidth

Thanks Brogan.

You say 100,000 members but 10,000 visits daily.

Whats your user logged in numbers?

I would reccomend a low end VPS if your not serving up much in the way of media content.

Sorry I meant 10,000 on the site at any given time

So just to make sure, your site runs with 10000 concurrent users at any point in the day?

And you were on shared hosting? Jeez, im surprised your host didn't kick you out!

With a site like that, I would look at picking yourself up a dedicated server and loading it up with nginx.

Actually, infact, if you were running shared hosting with cpanel, I doubt any host would be able to support a site with 10,000 concurrent users....

I think you have your numbers wrong.

Can you link your site?

For 10000 users per day or 10000 users online?
Anyway RAM it is necessary in 2-4 times more. Also 500 Gb is a traffic or bandwidth the channel? If the first it can be insufficiently.
Also it is impossible to forget that the processor frequency 1.13 GHz can not suffice that leads to an overload in the maximum quantity users online. And the overload can result and in a total failure in service. In general, it is required also tuning.

Nevertheless be defined at first with real loading. Probably, you exaggerate loading, and can be underestimate :)

Top Bottom