1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 ReCaptcha Error (Name or service not known)

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Wolfe, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Awhile back, I posted a support thread in regards to ReCaptcha and Gravatar failing to connect to their respective services. As it turns out, it was just a hosting issue. Now, I have another error, but this one only pertains to ReCaptcha.

Unable to Connect to tcp://api-verify.recaptcha.net:80. Error #0: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known
    Today at 2:25 AM - library/Zend/Http/Client/Adapter/Socket.php:235
    Is this something I should be worried about?

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The software cannot find the ReCaptcha server. Sounds like a name server issue on your host.
    Wolfe likes this.
  3. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

Interesting, I'll submit a support ticket to my host and let you know how it goes. Thanks, especially for the extremely fast reply.
  4. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

My host reported that the server my site is hosted on can connect to api-verify.recaptcha.net using port 80 without a problem, showing me some trace routes through the server. He also provided me with a few php tests:

http://www4.coreisp.net/test80.php <-- This shows that the server can communicate through port 80 fine.
    http://www4.coreisp.net/test81.php <-- This shows that port 81 is closed (after a couple minutes), which is normal.

I've also noticed that Gravatar cannot communicate through port 80, either. Any suggestions?
  5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Are you running on a VPS/dedi server? If so, check your resolv.conf and see what DNS servers are listed. I ALWAYS use and in addition to what it configures by default (and place them at the top of the list).

I had a similar issue not to long ago on one of my VPS's and it was driving me nuts till I compared the resolv.conf of it to one of my VPS's that worked) and realized that was one thing I had forgotten to do (and looking over my checklist noticed I had skipped it).
  6. Wolfe

Wolfe Member

No, I'm on a shared host.