Rebuilding users... painfully slow

ekool

What exactly is going on when you rebuild users. It is painfully slow. Everything else is super fast... I can rebuild the entire search index in about 1/10th of the time of rebuild users (1.2 mil posts, 300k users).

Is there an index or something missing on that process because sheesh... its bad.

I've moved this from suggestions given your wording (and normally "make it faster" isn't a great suggestion :)).

This rebuilds a number of things, including stuff related to conversations, alerts and permissions. There may be scope for improvement, but it does access and write a fair amount of data. It's generally a one off (post import) process and it's the sort of thing that can be done while the forum is running (as long as the server can take it).

I've moved this from suggestions given your wording (and normally "make it faster" isn't a great suggestion :)).

This rebuilds a number of things, including stuff related to conversations, alerts and permissions. There may be scope for improvement, but it does access and write a fair amount of data. It's generally a one off (post import) process and it's the sort of thing that can be done while the forum is running (as long as the server can take it).

Unfortunately there are a ton of modifications that trigger a rebuild after they are installed. I realize this isn't a Xenforo Ltd. problem but it is painful and would be nice if there were a way to speed it up.

Are there (or is there) any plans to have a shell script to do rebuild processes like these which would also be faster? It would be great if there were a shell script we could run to do the various rebuilds.

There are add-ons that trigger a user rebuild? They should probably be adjusted to try not to do that. I can't see why an add-on would generally need to do that, at least on a new install (thus not having any data to rebuild).

If you're just talking about the general rebuilds that happen after an add-on install/upgrade, on a "normal" site those should really take a couple minutes at max. Reduce the number of styles and languages you have if possible and ensure MySQL is fully optimized for InnoDB (both reads and writes).

Top Bottom