XF 2.0 Rebuilding Search Index Error

dash

I tried to rebuild the search index from the admin panel and get the following error:

Code:
An exception occurred: [XF\Db\Exception] MySQL statement prepare error [2006]: MySQL server has gone away in src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php on line 212

XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 174
    XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 36
    XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->prepare() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 46
    XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 74
    XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/XF/Session/DbStorage.php at line 57
    XF\Session\DbStorage->writeSession() in src/XF/Session/Session.php at line 215
    XF\Session\Session->save() in src/XF/Admin/App.php at line 84
    XF\Admin\App->complete() in src/XF/App.php at line 1883
    XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 328
    XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13

Any way to correct this?

This generally indicates MySQL server connectivity issues or timeouts.

Can generally be solved by changing wait_timeout and max_allowed_packet in my.cnf or similar.

Added those parameters. Restarted Mysql and when I rebuilt the search index, the same error came up. Error comes up when rebuilding content types: All, Posts or Threads. Works fine for Pages, Profile Posts and Profile Post Comments.

Can you confirm what the max_allowed_packet actually shows up as?
Code:
show variables like 'max_allowed_packet';
The only other possibility is that there was a bug triggered within MySQL that caused the connection to be killed. That should likely show up in your MySQL log.

Can you confirm what the max_allowed_packet actually shows up as?
Code:
show variables like 'max_allowed_packet';
The only other possibility is that there was a bug triggered within MySQL that caused the connection to be killed. That should likely show up in your MySQL log.

Hi...I see the following when I run that command.

+--------------------+---------+
| Variable_name | Value |
| max_allowed_packet | 1048576 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

If you applied the commands mentioned in a previous post, then the max_allowed_packet should be higher -- that's 1MB still. Make sure you're applying it to the correct configuration file -- and the correct section of the file, likely under a "[mysqld]" section (and restarting MySQL).

Hi...you need to find the my.cnf file on your server (my server had more than 1...i changed the incorrect one first). The correct one for me was located at /etc/my.cnf but I imagine it could differ by server.

I edited the file and added:

Code:
wait_timeout = 28800
max_allowed_packet = 8M

then restarted the mysql server with the following command:

service mysqld restart

Note that my server is running CentOS so locations and restart command may be different.

Reactions: gxd
I just did a successful migration from vB 4.2.4 to XF 2.1.0 last weekend (just upgraded last night to 2.1.1). Ubuntu 18.04, MySQL 5.7.25, php 7.2

I have XFES installed, but have the add-on disabled for now, until I get things set up. In the meantime, I figured I'd just use the built-in XF search.

Upon rebuilding the search index after install, I get the following error after around 125,000 of my ~180,000 posts have been indexed:

An exception occurred: [XF\Db\Exception] MySQL statement prepare error [2006]: MySQL server has gone away in src/XF/Db/AbstractStatement.php on line 217
  1. XF\Db\AbstractStatement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 196
  2. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->getException() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 39
  3. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->prepare() in src/XF/Db/Mysqli/Statement.php at line 54
  4. XF\Db\Mysqli\Statement->execute() in src/XF/Db/AbstractAdapter.php at line 94
  5. XF\Db\AbstractAdapter->query() in src/XF/Mvc/Entity/Finder.php at line 1261
  6. XF\Mvc\Entity\Finder->fetchOne() in src/XF/Repository/UpgradeCheck.php at line 39
  7. XF\Repository\UpgradeCheck->getLatestUpgradeCheck() in src/XF/Admin/App.php at line 238
  8. XF\Admin\App->renderPageHtml() in src/XF/App.php at line 1988
  9. XF\App->renderPage() in src/XF/Admin/App.php at line 122
  10. XF\Admin\App->renderPage() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 362
  11. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->render() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 53
  12. XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2177
  13. XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 390
  14. XF::runApp() in admin.php at line 13
Some searching has shown that there is perhaps a database timeout issue. I updated (per above) the my.conf file to lengthen the max timeout and packet size (and restarted MySQL from the CLI), but I continue to get the error.

The location of the mysql.conf file on my installation is: /etc/mysql/mysql.cnf

File contents (after I modified and added a line):

!includedir /etc/mysql/conf.d/
!includedir /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/

[mysqld]
max_allowed_packet = 8M
wait_timeout = 28800
thread_stack = 128K
max_connections = 125
table_open_cache = 32M
key_buffer_size = 32M

Any thoughts on what could be causing the issue? Database corruption somehow?

Cheers,
Gerry

Last edited:
I overcame this issue successfully, at the suggestion of Jon at XenForo, by reviewing the mySQL error log. I attempted and failed a search index rebuild to ensure I had a fresh error in the log, before reviewing it.

I found the following errors, after two search engine rebuild attempts:

2019-03-16T14:15:47.639365Z 146336 [Note] Aborted connection 146336 to db: 'xenforo' user: '500eadmin' host: 'localhost' (Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes)

2019-03-16T14:17:38.206541Z 146472 [Note] Aborted connection 146472 to db: 'xenforo' user: '500eadmin' host: 'localhost' (Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes)
(END)

That told me that my packet size was still too small, so I upped it from 8MB to 16MB in the mysql.cnf file, and re-attempted another search index rebuild.

Success!! Issue resolved.

So, hopefully this helps someone in the future.

Cheers,
Gerry

Top Bottom