XF 1.4 rebuild of threads higher than forum count

dethfire

I just rebuilt the cache for my threads and the rebuild apparently found over 600k threads, but my forum counter only records 550k. Any thoughts?

You have 550K visible threads.

The 600K you picked up on will actually be the thread_id in the database. The discrepancy of 50K can likely be explained by deleted threads, redirects and that kind of thing.

hmm strangely I only ave 170 soft deleted threads and hand full in moderation. I can't imagine I have tens of thousands of permanent redirects. Is there a way to search and remove these?

There isn't really any such thing as clutter and typically the size issue is a moot point. You'd be talking a couple of MB in most cases.

Whatever has caused your thread_id to no longer be equal to your number of threads is going to be a completely expected behaviour.

It may even be hard deleted threads. It may be that you have set the option on some forums to not include the threads in the board totals.

So, really, whatever it is, it doesn't matter and not likely something you can change, nor is it indicative of anything wrong. It is what it is.

There isn't really any such thing as clutter and typically the size issue is a moot point. You'd be talking a couple of MB in most cases.
Chris I appreciate your feedback, but this is a bit of an unexpected response. Clutter is a matter of opinion. I think one should strive to maintain as optimized a database as possible. One should not simply accept storing old extraneous information just because it "doesn't matter".

One should not be storing extraneous information at all. The only information in your database is the data that you have chosen to stay in your database. There is no such thing as clutter.

If you do wish to permanently delete threads you have previously decided to keep as soft deleted threads, you can do so using the Batch Update Threads feature in the Admin CP.

His point was that gaps in the IDs don't imply clutter. It implies data that is no longer around or values that were reserved but never used.

An ID is simply a unique identifier. It does not signify anything else.

Top Bottom