Really would appreciate some feedback and some pointers....

Glockie

Hi all,

I am looking around and wanted to ask a few questions with the possibility of some pointers.
I am an old VB4 user, I scrapped my forums a year ago and am looking a starting a new project.

The new project is being built completely from the ground up.
It is to be a very user orientated forums where interaction is key and I must have some functionalities.

I was wondering if anyone could advise whether it is for the best to migrate (yes I know it's been done to death but I just would like people's opinions) and how easy it is to get some add-ons..

I have a demo running at the moment, my second in as many weeks and so far it does have built in add-ons that I am already seeking, so that's a few ticks straight away.

Is it easy to get add-ons, and are there many devs, well developing them.
The XenForo Enhanced Search; can I make my own search menu for this and will it yield specific search results for that search?

ie; If I searched I am looking for a member who likes to fish, will it yield that search?

SEO, I have seen that the VB SEO plugin works, how are the sites for SEO?
I just have general requirements really but do need some extensive but not exhaustive add-ons.
I realise that the community is still building so I know that some things still may be building up and gathering pace....

I just love the look/layout and feel for it. But need to be cautious with add-ons in comparison to VB. However saying that, it's a complete new project and I'm aiming for modern day users, as in 2014... this is 2014 as far as looks, usability and functionality is concerned.

I look forward to hearing your input and advice..
Many thanks in advance :)

PS, I would appreciate some pointers for very modern themes too if anyone has any...

I like this edit box, that is nifty!

I must say, without even using it? I agree.

It's fun, fresh, modern and so easy to use.
I love how it just *works* on mobiles and tablets, as it is out of the box.

By fun, I do mean it is fun. Vb is very formal and such, this clearly shows an upbeat mindset from the devs. Of course I know the history too, but vb doesn't seem as expressive as this.

Honestly?
I can't wait to buy and get stuck in.
It'll be most likely today along with some add-ons.

And I'm glad you have that faith, that sells it further.

:)

Some more answers for you:

Is it easy to get add-ons, and are there many devs, well developing them.
The XenForo Enhanced Search; can I make my own search menu for this and will it yield specific search results for that search?

ie; If I searched I am looking for a member who likes to fish, will it yield that search?

Enhanced Search isn't just creating a menu for searching. It's a whole new back end for the search itself.

It's typically used for larger sites because it is more efficient, but also provides some benefits to small sites - for example, it supports search stemming, which means someone searching for "fishing" will also see results for, say, "fishes." That's a nice feature.

You can't get this by just making a menu.

SEO, I have seen that the VB SEO plugin works, how are the sites for SEO?

Seems at least equivalent to VB SEO to me.

PS, I would appreciate some pointers for very modern themes too if anyone has any...

I'm a big fan of UI.X because it's so flexible/customizable.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/ui-x.2239/

Some more answers for you:

Enhanced Search isn't just creating a menu for searching. It's a whole new back end for the search itself.

It's typically used for larger sites because it is more efficient, but also provides some benefits to small sites - for example, it supports search stemming, which means someone searching for "fishing" will also see results for, say, "fishes." That's a nice feature.

You can't get this by just making a menu.

Seems at least equivalent to VB SEO to me.

I'm a big fan of UI.X because it's so flexible/customizable.
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/ui-x.2239/

Okay great thanks for the extra input.
Of course, a menu is a menu and nothing more, but the query strings and yields are extremely important.

It's the back end I am seeking and need a proficient and efficient search tool.

If this does that, then happy days.
I can write html and CSS but am so so with php and SQL queries. Not fully fluent so that's a must for me and my users' needs. :)
Sounds good to me.

If I can customise and edit themes then again even better.
I'm on my phone ATM and tied up, as soon as I'm back to my office/desk I will take a look.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and provide some links.
I will definitely take a look.

Thank you ever so much.
Regards

Okay great thanks for the extra input.
Of course, a menu is a menu and nothing more, but the query strings and yields are extremely important.

It's the back end I am seeking and need a proficient and efficient search tool.

Whoops, I re-read the initial post and I think I didn't catch your meaning initially. I thought you were asking if you could write something that substituted for the Enhanced Search. My mistake.

Nothing to apologise for, it's all invaluable feedback and information for me so it's fine.
Not looking to substitute but implement and use with correct and specific yields. ;)

Okay I have spotted a thread elsewhere and I would just like to ask for some clarifications if possible?

1. Add-ons;
    "if you bought an addon and later decided that you won't use it and the only way to get rid of it is
    by losing it and removing it so you're not forced to renew for a higher price. So you end up losing the entire addon price you originally paid for.
Is that correct?
2. "No, once you've bought an add-on the renewal increases. You can't renew just XenForo."
"You can have the add-on removed from your license, but you would need to purchase it again if you want to use it in the future."
Is that also correct? Does removing an add-on mean I will never be able to use it again, rather, I would have to buy another copy of the same add-on?

3. "XenForo 1-Year Extension - $40, additional cost with add-ons"

Does this mean we have to pay an annual subscription every year after initial purchase and then also pay to update all our add-ons, and also pay throughout the year when the add-ons themselves are updated?

Sorry for the newby questions, just trying to work out what's being mentioned if I am honest...
Thanks in advance ;)

Note that all of the comments there are referring only to official XenForo add-ons. Third-party add-ons are separate and have their own policies.

If you buy an official add-on, the extension cost is added as part of the core XenForo extension. Effectively, the add-ons and the license use the same calendar. This ensures that there aren't situations where you have add-ons that require a version of XF you can't use or vice versa.

If you want to purchase an extension but don't want to pay the cost to extend the add-on, you can contact us and we can disable the add-on for you; this would reduce the extension cost. However, if you wish to use that add-on again, you would need to re-purchase the add-on.

Does this mean we have to pay an annual subscription every year after initial purchase and then also pay to update all our add-ons, and also pay throughout the year when the add-ons themselves are updated?

I think Mike answered your questions but this stood out to me... For the XenForo licensed software, you do not pay individually for updates. You pay for your initial purchase, and then a yearly renewal fee. That yearly fee entitles you to all of the updates released that year.

https://xenforo.com/purchase/xenforo-details

After you've purchased your license, XenForo is $40/year, Enhanced Search is $10/year. So for $50/year, you get support & product updates.

That's fine as I genuinely don't mind paying an annual renewal...

What I am concerned about is the add ons.

So we can't disable them ourselves or?
And once they are, then they must be re-purchased?

Example - I buy an add on for our forums, after some time we realise we no longer need it. I need someone to disable it for me but crucially I have to buy again if I want it RE-enabled??

I understand you have to make money, but why do we have to make a purchase twice for the same add-on?

This is worrying.

I'm still happy with everything as it suits what I need, but the - having to pay again situation for official add-ons, I just find a bit cheeky tbh as you're asking me to pay twice for the same product if, for whatever reason, I should need to disable it?

Surely users would be better off, having bought an add-on the license fee means you have the add-on with a years' subscription.
Then at renewal it could cost £10.

If you don't renew THEN yes by all means you have to buy again.

But not for disabling it surely?

Just my tuppence worth really.....
Many thanks again.

You can install/uninstall/enable/disable the add-on as much as you like on your own forum. Purchasing it doesn't mean you have to use it (it's installed separately).

This discussion was solely referring to what happens if you wish to extend the parent license and the options surrounding the extension of the add-on.

Got you.
Pretty much as I stated then - if it expires then you must re-purchase the add on?

That's fair enough IMO
I thought it was a case of if it's disabled then you must pay to re-enable it.....

Got you.
Pretty much as I stated then - if it expires then you must re-purchase the add on?
Once you have the add-on you have it.. whether your support expires or not. If you wish to continue support on both the FORUM script and the ADD-On then you have to pay the $40 for the forum and then whatever additional a year the add-on(s) is/are.
You cannot just pay for the forum itself (unless you cancel the add-on, which means that if later you want to use it again you must repurchase it).
That's fair enough IMO
I thought it was a case of if it's disabled then you must pay to re-enable it.....
No, you pretty much own a perpetual license to that version (or the most recent you can download while your support is active) unless it is revoked for some reason by XenForo Ltd.
After 12 months from date of initial purchase you can no longer submit support tickets nor can you download the latest version of the code without purchasing an additional year of support for the script and any associated add-ons.

It's ironic how many people ask this question about additional costs after buying the license. It's pretty straight forward that after you buy the license you just pay $40 each year (until further notice or prices change) to keep the updates and support going. Perpetual, ah, you borrowed that from Paul. lol..:)

It's ironic how many people ask this question about additional costs after buying the license. It's pretty straight forward that after you buy the license you just pay $40 each year (until further notice or prices change) to keep the updates and support going. Perpetual, ah, you borrowed that from Paul. lol..:)

These were questions I had asked, before purchasing.
I needed to simply clarify a, what I had read elsewhere and b, How it all works..

That's all :)

Top Bottom