XF 1.2 Really private conversations

bart

Is there a way to be certain that a conversation someone started with you is really private? Or can the starter add others to the conversation whenever he pleases? So if I have a conversation with A and tell nasty stories about B then I want to be sure A doesn't invite B to that conversation. :-)

I would like it to be so, that others can only be invited before the conversation starts. Is there a setting for that?

If you are the original sender, you can set so that no additional users can be invited.
But with this day and age, don't expect anything to be private. If it's online, it's not private.

Last edited:
But how is it when I am the receiver? When i didn't start the conversation. What if I don't want others (apart form the starter) to be invited in an active conversation. I really don't like that idea.

Please don't tell me I have to have an add-on for this...

I don't think you have any option as an invitee. Just like when someone email you and BCC others, hard to know. Potential embarrassing content should avoid this kind of communication.

But how is it when I am the receiver? When i didn't start the conversation. What if I don't want others (apart form the starter) to be invited in an active conversation. I really don't like that idea.

Please don't tell me I have to have an add-on for this...

In that case then you can not prevent the other user to invite others in a pc. So if you want to have that option then you will need a mod to accomplish it.

Yes, unless you have reached maximum participants, you can always invite more as the starter (or participant if given permissions from the starter). You will need an add-on to accomplish this, however, if you just edit out references in the template, its most likely not to be used.

Yes, unless you have reached maximum participants, you can always invite more as the starter (or participant if given permissions from the starter). You will need an add-on to accomplish this, however, if you just edit out references in the template, its most likely not to be used.

I took this out of the templates and disabled conversation_invite. Feels much better. :-)

I try to explain Personal Conversations (PC) as behaving just like email. When I delete an email someone sens me, it doesn't (and shouldn't) also delete all traces of it on the senders end. 'Invite' is just like adding a cc to a reply.

I think it's okay to add a cc when having a business-conversation with someone. But in a personal conversation it's rather strange. I would really like to know who I'm talking to. And I would not be pleased when the audience can change any minute.

Are you all fine with this? I may be older then I think I am...

Top Bottom