XF 2.2 Write 10.000 private conversations ...

Robert9

You want to write 10.000 private conversations to your users.
As a result XF sends 246 mails in one go to my provider.
Then we have a security alarm at the provider, the mail-account is shut down automatically.

After some hours with phone-calls, emails, waiting the mail-account is set free again.

I have no idea what XF does with the rest of the emails to send.

Anyway I need a solution to tell XF: Never send more than x mails in y minutes!

Is there anything like this to use, please?

(I dont want to change the provider, server, mail-hoster - i just want to limit mails per minute.)

Pretty good discussion about setting up SES
I've been using it a while and it works great. The only issue I had was that the bounces never were reported using the Add-on that is available in the RM, so I simply used two email addresses I have at another provider for my bounce/unsubscribe and the bounced immediately started working correctly.

(I dont want to change the provider, server, mail-hoster - i just want to limit mails per minute.)

You can or want not all change to Amazon. Decent application software should have a definable restriction you can set, even vBulletin had this in the old 3.x version if I remember correctly. More and more webhosters will block outgoing mail on suddenly very high outgoing amouns of mail, which is spam in 9,5 of 10 cases.
If the application just uses a kind of queuing, this problem will not occur and you are free so set your forum and mail on most places.
Which is why I found the solution of @beerForo the best solution, because it's a solution. Trying to find one of the few external mail providers which might allow it (mostly also at a cost), is a workaround imho and no solution. A solution keeps your options and choices open.

You can or want not all change to Amazon. Decent application software should have a definable restriction you can set, even vBulletin had this in the old 3.x version if I remember correctly. More and more webhosters will block outgoing mail on suddenly very high outgoing amouns of mail, which is spam in 9,5 of 10 cases.
If the application just uses a kind of queuing, this problem will not occur and you are free so set your forum and mail on most places.
Which is why I found the solution of @beerForo the best solution, because it's a solution. Trying to find one of the few external mail providers which might allow it (mostly also at a cost), is a workaround imho and no solution. A solution keeps your options and choices open.

Both are solutions depending on the use.

While queuing helps (and it's a great addon) - if the email is about something time sensitive, and email has to be throttled back so much that its a long time to deliver them all, that's not a very good solution. In that case, throttling is the opposite of a solution.

Amazon SES is very cheap, $1.00 for 10,000 emails. You can push out 10,000K emails in minutes once the Amazon SES account is out of the sandbox. Amazon SES, in my experience, also helps improve delivery rates in many cases.

I used AWS SES for my site and it worked very well. Allowed huge bursts of emails if I'd needed it too, no rate limiting required. I think my limit was something like 200,000 emails per day, even though I only asked for a few hundred.

You need to get out of the sandbox though, which requires making an application in the form of a business justification to AWS. How to do it is in the documentation.

I personally wouldn't go with AWS Amazon at all as they can be expensive. (have had this happen to me where they've tried getting me to pay $11k upfront for the use of their products).

Hence why i'll suggest that you go with your host's premium package that has an awesome email system that links your boards to it's emails.
People are going to laugh at me here because i'm with namecheap. But they don't actually know how awesome that host actually is.

Namecheap's premium hosting gives you an awesome cpanel that has a really down to earth and fair email system that you can use for each of your urls you have.

I personally wouldn't go with AWS Amazon at all as they can be expensive.
Been using them for SES for over a year now... my grand total outlay has been $0, and I send several hundred emails from the site a month.
That may change with their recent changes in their "free" offering... but even at that, by their "guestimator" it won't be over $5 USD a month. That would cover 50,000 sent emails at the size that I currently send.
Now, if you are using them to receive mail also... that can get more expensive... but simple sending is not that costly if you are not using a private IP with them.
Hence why i'll suggest that you go with your host's premium package that has an awesome email system that links your boards to it's emails.
Problem you run into with that is frequently on those cheap shared hosting plans... they cap you at a daily rate that is only in the few hundreds. That's like folks telling someone to use GMail for sending... on the free plan, they give you 500 sends a day, on the paid WorkSpace accounts, you get 2000. And if you are using paid, you are already paying around $6.... so for $1USD less you get 5 times the email sending capability (daily max limit which a "splurge" send would utilize).
With NameCheap, you will need to be on their Stellar business plan (at $9.50 a month + $4 if you want a dedicated IP) to get the same as with SES for $5 (yes, you get hosting... but it's rather limited - specifically in inode limits - I've assisted several people that had been impacted by that even though they still had free space left on their hosting plan).

The benefit of using SES and similar services is you generally get a better delivery rate, as your shared hosting MTA sending IP can easily get on a spam list because it's cheap to purchase and spammers spin sites up left and right and many result in using the same IP your site does. That's why DO and similar have issues with running a MTA service on a VPS from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom