XF 1.0 Real-World Page Loading Speed

This isn't so much a 'have you seen this feature' post as one that goes some way to explaining why interacting with XenForo is such an immediate, pleasurable experience.

The following is screen-grabbed from Google Webmaster Tools.

google-webmaster-tools-page-load-speed-png.420

Attachments

• Google Webmaster Tools Page Load Speed.webp
    Google Webmaster Tools Page Load Speed.webp
    59.1 KB · Views: 5,906
I will say this, though: I have converted a small, newer forum over to XF from SMF, and the overwhelming compliment we've received thus far: it's fast. Members really like it! And they are actually a lot more active now.

Agreed ! The best part about xenforo is how fast it is.

I must say that with XenForo, you've "nailed it." We're all very pleased with the outcome after our conversion! I just think from a usability standpoint, the speed, and the improved "social" aspects of the system, it is a step or two ahead of all the others out there.

Indeed.

(And I've been using forums since I was a Compuserve Sysop, using the text-based interface inside Procomm Plus!)

I remember Procomm Plus !
I think I used it a few times but I mostly used Telix !
Reminds me about my 300 baud modem on my Commodore 64. You would put your regular phone on top of it. Sometimes it would squeal because the seal wasn't so good.
images

The first time I saw someone typing in real time on the other end of my modem .... I thought I'd transported into a new world.

This reminds me of the days.... see how he dials the phone and then puts it on the modem !
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

S0me days, I wish we still had a good old fashioned BBS to dial into, or something like the old GDFN (Greater Detroit Freenet) which had email and IRC chat. Funny I still remember my email address there, even though it has been defunct for at least a decade! Nothing like a few strings of "ATH1" and "ATDT18065551111" to start the day. :D Come to think of it, many of us do not even have land lines anymore to use for dial-up. Watching the clock, having to pay for Compuserve by the minute...that I don't miss! :D

I'm so cheap, I can't even pay attention! :D

I'm looking at combining Sipdroid, Google Voice and a GV callback app on my Droid so I can get away from using my daytime minutes. I really wanted to use Gizmo5 (which was a similar service), but Google is shutting it down. :(

I'm so cheap, I can't even pay attention! :D

I'm looking at combining Sipdroid, Google Voice and a GV callback app on my Droid so I can get away from using my daytime minutes. I really wanted to use Gizmo5 (which was a similar service), but Google is shutting it down. :(

pbxinaflash.com would be a good project if you want to try Google Voice on a PBX at home.

Hi. I am trying to develop a good forum for a group (100 people) to use to collaborate and discuss projects. A large portion of the group is in rural India on basically 56k / dial-up connections. Concerning the page-loading speed advantage being discussed in this thread, is that mainly because of the software being more efficient for the server CPU or because the page's are actually more efficient, AKA smaller file-size to download for someone on a 56k connection?

I'm not worried about 2-4 second page loads, but what is 2 seconds for someone on a 20mbit connection is obviously waaaaay longer for someone on 56k.

Basically, will the Xenforo speed advantage make much difference to users with slow internet connections as compared to SMF 2 and IPB 3.2 ?

Thanks for your honest input.

Basically, will the Xenforo speed advantage make much difference to users with slow internet connections as compared to SMF 2 and IPB 3.2 ?

Thanks for your honest input.
I think so. But the easiest way to determine that might be to visit the ipb/smf support forums and decide for yourself. There are a lot of factors involved.

edit: I see, you started another thread here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-good-for-old-computers-slow-connections.18835/

I did and I'm getting good help there. However I have one main question that is relevant to this thread:

Are the speed avantages of XenForo something that makes a difference server-CPU wise or something that actually makes a significant impact on those with slow internet connections (like dial-up) as compared to say IPB ?

I did and I'm getting good help there. However I have one main question that is relevant to this thread:

Are the speed avantages of XenForo something that makes a difference server-CPU wise or something that actually makes a significant impact on those with slow internet connections (like dial-up) as compared to say IPB ?
Both. Based on my experience, though it has been quite some time since I've looked at ipb (I do own a copy).

For your specific requirements, as suggested in the other thread, other forum software could be a better choice than ipb/xf. There is a lot not being discussed such as 'which' old browser (mentioned in other thread). IE6 does not do well with xf compared to IE8, but Firefox 2.0 is as fast (or faster) on xf compared to firefox 3.6.13..

If you are concerned about the speed of your server but do not care about being in search engine results then you could keep the search bots out.

Overall I would say there is no way to make any comparison at all, except to have the people you want as members try it out. Either on xf.com & ips.com, or in a demo. I've no idea what is entailed in getting a demo at ips.com, but it is automated and quick here: http://xenforo.com/demo

if your worried about dial-up speed connections in relevance to software used, then I would say try vanilla forums. Next to that I would say xenforo or smf.

If you are worried you're on dail-up; then don't be. ..
If it is your only option to get connect: Stop living in a ****ty place.

Bad comment Floris, I live in the forest/camp and have minimal connectivity, I managed to make www.tecnogaming.com with all subdomains and forums all by myself and I ussually complain becasue my download speed is about 56kbits almost all the time, oh, btw. I love my place, very far from ###ty as you say wouldn't trade it for a T1 not even in my wildest dream.

Booo..... Floris.

Not everyone is privileged to high speed access. I know places where the only internet around is dial-up at the local cafe. What's wrong with trying to make a website that cater's to those whose only option is dial-up?

Top Bottom