Fixed Reactions for posts not merge when post are merged by moderator

Azaly

Affected version
When moderator merge several post of users it expected that all reactions would merge too, but in fact all reactions are lost exept destination post.

For example:
PostA with 3 reactions AAA merge with PostB with 1 reaction B into PostA, so AAA reactions are saved and B reaction is lost.
PostA with 3 reactions AAA merge with PostB with 1 reaction B into PostB, so B reaction is saved and AAA reactions are lost.

I have asked about it few years ago, XF support told me it is as designed.

QDegd8m.jpg

@Andro, thanks for information. I've never noticed this was already happened on xf1.5. My users irate at this after found out this behaviour :(

It makes no sense at all to me that when merging posts, reactions from each/all posts should be kept.

• A post cannot have two reactions from one user so in mkost cases something ahs to give.
  • Even if reactions could be kept, you wouldn't know which post within the entire merged post a particular reaction was referring to?

All I can think that might make this slightly better for you, would be if you could choose which post the reactions stayed with, currently they stay with the target post. I amgine such an option could be done with some custom development but likely to be complicated for something that I doubt many forum owners would be bothered about as merging posts is not something you would normally want to do, only when a user posts in a less than ideal way.

A post cannot have two reactions from one user
The problem is loosing reactions from different users.

Even if reactions could be kept, you wouldn't know which post within the entire merged post a particular reaction was referring to?
Does it matter? If post contains more than one idea that could get different reactions, is it matter that you do not understand each reaction referrinces?

It means reactions to selected text (thoughts), while this thread is about losing reaction by merging.

Yes, you would lose reactions but those reactions would be misleading or irrelevant once the posts are merged so I see no issue with losing them in what for most forums would be a rare case scenario. I have never ever merged posts nor can I think of a reason to do so.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.8).

Change log:
Attempt to merge reactions when merging posts
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom