Lack of interest Random Sort Order for Q&A Threads

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

arn

I see a lot of potential for Q&A type threads outside of traditional Q&A. In particular, it seems possible to run contests or surveys. What is your favorite movie? Photo contest. etc...

The problem with the chronological order is that the first few posts get most of the attention and are more likely to get upvotes as a result. Instead, a random sort would help that. Ideally, it would stay random sort for a set period of time (1 day, 7 days), then revert to sort-by-vote.

Reddit has a similar feature called "contest mode":
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There was an old suggestion for Random sort: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/random-sort-posts-list.109912/ but no one else seemed to care for it.

arn

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ideally, it would stay random sort for a set period of time (1 day, 7 days), then revert to sort-by-vote.
So the forum would display threads in a random order for 1 week and then display them chronologically?

How would that benefit anything after a week?

So the forum would display threads in a random order for 1 week and then display them chronologically?

How would that benefit anything after a week?

Sorry... I'm talking about posts within a Q&A thread. Right now, for Q&A threads you can Sort by Date or Sort by Vote. I'm suggesting adding Sort by Random.

arn

Top Bottom