XF 1.2 Random Permission Error

Divvens

Hello,

I seem to have a weird problem coming up. One of my members informed me that they cannot access any part of my site all of a sudden (note, it worked fine just 10 minutes back) they get a error regarding permission on ALL pages of the forum.

Error
You do not have the permission to view this page or perform this action.

Untitled.webp

I checked the permissions for the user, everything seems fine. They can also see the board while not logged in. I ran the permission analyzer and it seems to give me a report that the permissions are fine.

Problem.webp

So what exactly is the problem here? When I use the "Test Permissions" tool for that user even I get the same error everywhere.

Last edited:
There's no errors in the logs, and no apparent reason that I can think off. Only happening with one user, and it's kinda confusing me. Disabling add-ons didn't help, tried it twice.

Can you list your active addons as we have this error happen but think it may be down to a particular addon
Custom BBCode Manager1.3.4
Double Post1.0.7
Nodes As Tabs1.2.1
Readactor1.0.1
Respollo1.0
Shared - RPG Features1.1.1
Sitemap for XenForo1.3.2
[bd] Widget Framework2.4.1

Have you possibly added user permissions on the user?
No, the user is part of default primary group and a set of secondary groups. Users with the same user-groups as this member have everything going fine, it is only this one member that's facing this issue. The permissions analyzer says all is fine as well so its kind of confusing >.<

Even parts that guests can see ?
Ask the member to reboot / try another browser ?
Flush the browser cache ?
The member tried with another browser, and with his mobile as well, but the error exists on both platforms. Yes, he gets the error to even part unregistered/guests can see. All pages practically (like when board is closed you get board close message on all pages, here he gets the error message on any and all pages).

Have you discouraged the user? Are you certain there are no user permissions on the user?
The user isn't discouraged, there aren't any discipline actions playing a role (warnings, ban, discourage). No Ip's discourage, no Ip's banned.

And there are no user permissions on the user;
Problem.webp

The problem started occurring randomly, it was all fine when the user visited last time (now around 45 minutes back)

Has his IP recently changed? Have you discouraged or banned an IPs recently?
The IP of the user did change, it changes quite a bit.

No IP's have been discourage or banned recently. There were a set of discouraged IP's (not at all near the users IP range) but I also removed all those IP's from the discouraged list. Ran the cron tools, and the problem still exists.

I seem to have sorted this problem out @Jeremy

@arms maybe this may help you too.

I went to all my usergroup permissions and set "view node" "view" as "YES"

After that, it seems that the issue is solved. The user no more gets a permission error. However as my screenshots posted above show, the permissions already were YES and the analyzer also confirms this. But for some reason (not add-on related, as add-ons were disabled on multiple occasions and the problem continued occurring) the permissions were not all okay.

I thought the xenForo permissions were handled differently? I.E, I could have let it be on the default if the "primary" group had "view node" and "view" permissions?

And now I'm paranoid, if this happens with permissions for other areas, like posting, liking, user profile etc? It'd kill forum activity without me as an admin knowing. This is scary, and I can guarantee no add-on playing a role, all add-ons I was running was disabled multiple times but the problem still existed.

Should I go and set each userggroup permissions manually now?

It's possible that an add-on caused the issue.

I have never encountered random permission errors of this type on multiple installation for the past three years.

It's possible that an add-on caused the issue.

I have never encountered random permission errors of this type on multiple installation for the past three years.
It's possible to be an add-on, but when all are disabled the problems still persists.

From what @arms and @Eoj Nawoh have posted on the other thread, it seems all three of us having the problem are running Widget Framework, Nodes As Tabs and Sitemap for xenForo in common (and not disabled during the problem for Eoj).

Hmm, how do we figure out for sure its and add-on and not the which one?

If an add-on modifies permissions in the database, disabling them won't revert their changes.
Well if its permissions we are taking about, I think Widget Frameworks and Nodes As tabs both have permissions, not so sure about Sitemap but that doesn't play with user side permissions I think.

Maybe @Jake Bunce or @xfrocks could help figure out the issue of this problem? The other thread related to a same random permission error is - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/permissions-error-need-help-desperate.60914/

Maybe I should also update those add-ons to their latest versions (I'm one version behind).

@arms and @Eoj Nawoh, what version of Nodes as Tabs, Sitemap and Widget Frameworks are you running? Because I notice this is the three add-ons common between us who have come across this issue.

@arms and @Eoj Nawoh, what version of Nodes as Tabs, Sitemap and Widget Frameworks are you running? Because I notice this is the three add-ons common between us who have come across this issue.

I'm not using Nodes as Tabs, Sitemap = 1.3.2 and widgets framework = 2.4.2.
The error we get hasn't happened since I disabled the Steam Auth addon a few days ago.

If your user keeps clicking on the forum nav menu. Does he get there in the end. That how our error was showing, but if you clicked 3 or 4 times, it''d load to the forum screen.

I'm not using Nodes as Tabs, Sitemap = 1.3.2 and widgets framework = 2.4.2.
The error we get hasn't happened since I disabled the Steam Auth addon a few days ago.

If your user keeps clicking on the forum nav menu. Does he get there in the end. That how our error was showing, but if you clicked 3 or 4 times, it''d load to the forum screen.
Hmm I see, for my user he just returned after a while and had this problem occurring and refreshing/clicking didn't take it away.

Top Bottom