• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

ragtek Unread Thread Counter

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

This Add-on shows the unread thread counter. (adds 1 sql-query to every pageload in the frontend)

Installation:
  • Upload everything from the "upload" directory into your forum directory (if you get a message, that some files could be overwritten, don't be afraid. This are only helperfiles from other add-ons of me. So you don't overwrite anything from xenforo or other 3rd party add-ons!
  • install addon.xml
  • edit PAGE_CONTAINER Template (instructions below)
Template edit:

Open Template "PAGE_CONTAINER"
Search for:

<!-- main content area -->
<xen:if is="{$sidebar}">
<div class="mainContainer">
<div class="mainContent"></xen:if>

Add under this:

<xen:include template="ragtek_unreadPosts" />

pos2.webp

Attachments

Hmmm... I think if as an alert it may be confusing for users (and also get their hopes up if they are waiting for a PM or something)...
I say under the NAVBAR

Naa, I don't see the need for it. The alert system is pretty much clear the way it is.

I personally would have it on the lower half of the navigation bar next to What's New?

That would seem to be the most logical place for it as it is purely a forum related metric and not a top level menu.

You should mention, that if somebody is installing this add-on and if they have your previous add-ons installed they shouldn't be afraid of overwriting/or skipping the procedures of overwriting / uploading files. Because the files are the same?

You should mention, that if somebody is installing this add-on and if they have your previous add-ons installed they shouldn't be afraid of overwriting/or skipping the procedures of overwriting / uploading files. Because the files are the same?
Yes, thx for this.

And just a small suggestion: It shouldn't display the line at all, if there are no unread posts. In my view that would be more convenient.
No, i don't like this.
I had this in my vB Add-on, but it was very strange, because it affects the page hight.
If there are unread posts, the page is higher because of the box, and this had some sideaffects with some designs (hope you know what i mean)

BUUUUUUUUT
XenForo is also hidding/showing the box under the navbar so i don't think there should be some problems.
I'll implement it in a feature version

Yes, thx for this.

No, i don't like this.
I had this in my vB Add-on, but it was very strange, because it affects the page hight.
If there are unread posts, the page is higher because of the box, and this had some sideaffects with some designs (hope you know what i mean)
Yep, I understand what you mean. But maybe then choose another location? I myself am really distracted by the orange sign saying 0 unread posts... Just my two cents. :)
Thanks for the add-on, very useful :)

Yep, I understand what you mean. But maybe than choose another location? I myself am really distracted by the orange sign saying 0 unread posts... Just my two cents. :)
Thanks for the add-on, very useful :)
I've edited my post;)
=>
BUUUUUUUUTXenForo is also hidding/showing the box under the navbar so i don't think there should be some problems.
I'll implement it in a feature version

Top Bottom