Browser issue  Quoting a post with media embedded in it

Saeed

Ok, this being my first bug report, firstly my apologies if it isn't good enough.

I was about to reply to a thread by Shamil, with a YouTube video embedded in it. I didn't want to have the video embedded in the quoted post, so I removed the "media=youtube" and [/media] tags. This I did by selecting the line with the BBCode and then pressing "Delete" - once to delete the line itself and then a couple of times to delete the extra space between the text above and below the deleted line. However, the text below showed some weird behaviour, jumping up and down. To summarize:

Delete # 1: BBCode Line deleted.
Delete # 2: Text below BBCode Line comes one line up.
Delete # 3: Text below BBCode Line goes back down.
Delete # 4: Text below BBCode Line comes one line up again.
Delete # 5: Text below BBCode Line comes one line up more where wanted.

This was with Firefox 3.6. I've made a screencast, since I don't know if the above description would clearly convey to you anything.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok, this being my first bug report, firstly my apologies if it isn't good enough.

You even included a screencast (!) so really, no apologies needed whatsoever I would think! :cool::).

I didn't want to have the video embedded in the quoted post, so I removed the "media=youtube" and [/media] tags.

Well... all your (perfectly understandable) hassle would not have been needed if XenForo (or any other forum package for that matter) would not have the unnecessary and annoying behaviour that it repeats images/movies when you quote a text with that kind of content in it: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-alternate-representation-of-bbcodes.2864/#post-48646

I can't actually get it to expand a line, but I see what you're saying - I get a situation where it seems to do something strange. Poking around with Firebug, this looks like it's internal to FF. Firefox has this _moz_dirty="" attribute, and it appears to be manipulating that (moving that from the <p> to the <br>, then removing the <p> on the next press). This doesn't really happen with backspace, so it's taking a different approach with that.

Top Bottom