Lack of interest Quoted images: link to original post ? thumbnail the quoted image ?

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Digital Doctor

Two One idea.
Currently when you quote an image, a message appears:
View Attachment 12345.
Clicking that links to the quoted image, but not the post it is from.

Idea 1: provide a link to the original post. (xenforo already does this).
Idea 2: thumbnail the quoted image.

xenforo.quoting.attachment.ideas.webp

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
As far as I know, this isn't actually a bug but what happens when you consciously decide to quote something via [QUOTE][/QUOTE] (or even the Reply link), but leave out the user info that's used to link back to the orignal post.

For example,
This is a quote.
Or even

Two ideas.
Currently when you quote an image, a message appears:
View Attachment 12345.
Clicking that links to the quoted image, but not the post it is from.

Idea 1: provide a link to the original post.
Idea 2: thumbnail the quoted image.

View attachment 13236

I see that: Idea 1: provide a link to the original post.
already Native Xenforo functionality !

So ... the only idea now is:

Thumbnails or no Thumbnails.

No thumbnails.

There's nothing worse than someone quoting a message and including all the content.

I am wondering if there is a way to have a thumbnail of an image in the reply quote text instead of just text with a link? When you have a thread with lots of images it helps to know what the person is quoting and replying to what photo in the topic, and a thumbnail would be a fast reference.

Currently when you quote a post with an image you get the cryptic "View attachment 1487" and even though it is a link I thought it may be nice to have it appear as a thumbnail with a link instead.

It's just a thought, heck it might even be possible already but I can't figure it out

Attaching a wonderful photo done by Patrick Smith Photography as an example with the next post quoting for demonstration purposes. (bummer I can't quote my own post)
tumblr_lmn9d2nZEc1qaixbxo1_1280.webp

I am wondering if there is a way to have a thumbnail of an image in the reply quote text instead of just text with a link? When you have a thread with lots of images it helps to know what the person is quoting and replying to what photo in the topic, and a thumbnail would be a fast reference.

Currently when you quote a post with an image you get the cryptic "View attachment 1487" and even though it is a link I thought it may be nice to have it appear as a thumbnail with a link instead.

It's just a thought, heck it might even be possible already but I can't figure it out

Attaching a wonderful photo done by Patrick Smith Photography as an example with the next post quoting for demonstration purposes. (bummer I can't quote my own post)
View attachment 16252
You wanted a quote? :)

Makes sense and I don't see why it wouldn't be added since it would be an easy little addition.

FYI, you can quote your own posts.
I suspect you just encountered the flood check when you tried to do it yesterday.

Currently it displays a small thumbnail if you quote a message with a embed video. I think to make it consistent the same behavior should apply to images/attachments.

Of course it can be an Admin CP toggle.

FYI, you can quote your own posts.
I suspect you just encountered the flood check when you tried to do it yesterday.
Why my thread was merged into this one???
My original question has NOTHING to do with current thread. For real, stop merging threads before even reading the title, which it was: Attachment in quote to open in image viewer (instead of separate window)

I'm re-opening the thread again, please read the title.

The suggestions are related to the same thing which is an alternative representation of quoted attachments, including a thumbnail view which would open in the lightbox.

Explain to me how they are fundamentally different.

Top Bottom