Quit smoking

Wow 18, thats 3 years less than in america. And yea I need to stop smoking, my mom hates me smoking and cries sometimes because I smoke.
She has every right to cry because you smoke. Listen to me...

I started smoking when I was old enough to know better... in my early 20's. In January 1994, when I was about 33 or 34 I think, I developed the flu, then pneumonia. That got me sent for xrays which showed a 'shadow' on my left lung. That got me sent for an MRI the first week of February, which showed a mass about the size of a grape. The doctor said it had to be removed, but I had to stop smoking first. It took me until late March and the help of a stop smoking aid (Cigarest, I think), to be able to stop. By that time I could barely breath. Oh the pneumonia was long gone. The tumor was squeezing my lungs. BOTH of them. A new MRI showed that it had grown substantially, had grown under my sternum, and was attached to the right lung. I was suffocating - literally.

On April 4, 1994, I underwent surgery to remove this tumor. Between the time of the latest mri and the surgery, the tumor had doubled in size. They had to remove my sternum, 4 ribs, and my left collar bone to get it all out. I died once on the operating table, and obviously was brought back. When the surgeon went out to the waiting room to tell my then-hubby, grandma, and mom that I was going to live, my hubby asked to see the tumor. He told me it was the size of a small watermelon. My grandma and mom agreed with him.

All from smoking. Quit now, while you're still young. The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit. Even knowing that my life was on the line, it still toook me almost 3 months to quit.
Do it now. :)

Yeah, quit smoking.

I was smoking for about 12 years. Started at the age of 18 when doing my military service (it's where you start drinking and smoking if you had not done it earlier) and stopped at my 30th birthday. It was pure hell for a few weeks, but I did not touch a single piece of tobacco ever since then. The longer you were smoking the harder it is to quit - at least, that's what most people say. Good for your health and you save *quite* a lot of money.

Oh, and to contribute something to the topic of this thread.

Can't resist a good single malt or a good glass of wine.

Beer isn't my thing expect for a Bavarian wheat beer every now and then.

She has every right to cry because you smoke. Listen to me...

I started smoking when I was old enough to know better... in my early 20's. In January 1994, when I was about 33 or 34 I think, I developed the flu, then pneumonia. That got me sent for xrays which showed a 'shadow' on my left lung. That got me sent for an MRI the first week of February, which showed a mass about the size of a grape. The doctor said it had to be removed, but I had to stop smoking first. It took me until late March and the help of a stop smoking aid (Cigarest, I think), to be able to stop. By that time I could barely breath. Oh the pneumonia was long gone. The tumor was squeezing my lungs. BOTH of them. A new MRI showed that it had grown substantially, had grown under my sternum, and was attached to the right lung. I was suffocating - literally.

On April 4, 1994, I underwent surgery to remove this tumor. Between the time of the latest mri and the surgery, the tumor had doubled in size. They had to remove my sternum, 4 ribs, and my left collar bone to get it all out. I died once on the operating table, and obviously was brought back. When the surgeon went out to the waiting room to tell my then-hubby, grandma, and mom that I was going to live, my hubby asked to see the tumor. He told me it was the size of a small watermelon. My grandma and mom agreed with him.

All from smoking. Quit now, while you're still young. The longer you smoke, the harder it is to quit. Even knowing that my life was on the line, it still toook me almost 3 months to quit.
Do it now. :)
@peggy: Sorry to hear peggy, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me, means alot to me. To be honest I first started smoking at 14, now im 16, and im hooked. it all started because I had friends that smoke, so at that time when they would smoke, I would smoke with them, when we were chilling. I wasnt addicted then, but now I am and I buy cigarettes almost every week, and I could be spending that money on other things like my site. I will quit. Thanks for sharing your experience.

@Dragonfly: I will. Thanks

Wow 18, thats 3 years less than in america. And yea I need to stop smoking, my mom hates me smoking and cries sometimes because I smoke.
My young friend, I could give you dozens of health reasons to quit, but is there any better reason that to stop your mother from crying? Take it from someone a little older. A time will come when they aren't around anymore and every tear you ever caused her to shed and and could have prevented but didn't didn't will be like a weight on your shoulders for the rest of your life.
I would spare you both those pains.

My young friend, I could give you dozens of health reasons to quit, but is there any better reason that to stop your mother from crying? Take it from someone a little older. A time will come when they aren't around anymore and every tear you ever caused her to shed and and could have prevented but didn't didn't will be like a weight on your shoulders for the rest of your life.
I would spare you both those pains.
Yes I know, I love my mom alot, and I am going to quit. Thanks.

I split the "quit smoking" posts off as they seemed worthy of their own thread.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Peggy, but glad to hear it all turned out OK(ish) in the end.

Smoked for 20 years up until two weeks ago...

Two weeks ago, I bought an eGo e-cig from Kalamazoovaporshop.com for myself and my three best friends.

Now, we've all quit smoking and are "vaping" instead. Still enjoying the nicotine and the act of smoking without the tar, carbon monoxide and cancer causing ingredients.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You don't have to give up nicotine. I would recommend to anyone who smokes, try vaping instead. It's a much healthier alternative.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've tried three different brands; v2cigs, green cigs, and eGo. I definitely recommend the eGo from Kalamazoovaporshop.com. They also have the e juice and the BIG KAZOO 5 volt mod.

And BTW, all four of us that got the e-cigs two weeks ago....NONE of us have picked up a dirty cigarette since. We love our e-Cigs!!

The cheapy ones don't. The bigger ones, like the eGo, will. You have to get the right e juice too. Don't start out with the flavored ones. Go for the tobacco ones like cowboy or mad hatter smooth.

Those cheap e-cigs that are real hard to drag on and don't taste good, turn people off of e-cigs...people that might very well have liked a good one.

And don't substitute smoking with chewing tobacco. It's as bad.
It's actually worse...tobacco in general is a virus of a plant. I know this because I too at one point in my life thought I was superman and that nothing could hurt me.HA! That is far from the harsh reality though.

__
I will be quitting for new years not for a resolution but so I can remember when I quit so I can tell myself hey no you can't smoke that it's been X days. Otherwise when I find myself fiendishly searching for some nicotine input I might break down and say the cliche "just this one". Remember cigarettes can't lose because they are not alive...and dead things give less than a crap about the living. Do yourself a favor and quit before you end up like your ciggs, DEAD.

Started at 17, trying to quit this year, (quit for 3 years once before) so 17 years of smoking against me. Currently not smoking and have been smoke free for about 6 1/2 weeks:)

You go Nix!!! 6 1/2 weeks is really over the worst of it, good for you :D

I gave up 3 years ago after smoking for 20 years and trying to give up many times during that time.... can't even imagine smoking now, it disgusts me so much that I did for so long, very very happy I did finally do it!!! :D

You go Nix!!! 6 1/2 weeks is really over the worst of it, good for you :D

I gave up 3 years ago after smoking for 20 years and trying to give up many times during that time.... can't even imagine smoking now, it disgusts me so much that I did for so long, very very happy I did finally do it!!! :D
Wow, everyone I guess starts real young from 14-18. Keep it up nix. And good to hear Dragonfly... I dont know how long it will take me, longest I can stay without a cigarette is 2 days.

I smoked my first cig at 13, but really only full time after 17, still so so stupid to ever smoke, but starting before you are even fully grown is really really dumb!!!

I would kill my son if he ever smoked, fortunately he detests everything about it :D

I dont know how long it will take me, longest I can stay without a cigarette is 2 days.

there is a rule of 3 when giving up...

First 3 days are HELL - get through those and it is a bit easier.

First 3 weeks are Really hard - get through those and it is significantly easier.

First 3 months are Dangerous - get through those and you are well on your way to a smoke free life forever.

After that, so long as you Really want to, it is not hard - just avoid smokers for at least the first 3 weeks :)

Get yourself a substitute, I used Nicotine lozenges but some like the e-cigs, some use patches etc, you are statistically much more likely to give up with help than without.

Like any serious addiction it is one day at a time, one cig at a time, you have to choose to be a non-smoker and not have a cig when you want one for quite a while, but when you do it, you will look back and realise that the 3 rule did apply.

Wow, everyone I guess starts real young from 14-18. Keep it up nix. And good to hear Dragonfly... I dont know how long it will take me, longest I can stay without a cigarette is 2 days.
Well, if you still can stay two days without your drug, your addiction to it is not yet fully developed. For a long time smoker, it is almost impossible to stay ONE day without a cig, unless he absolutely must for whatever reason.

So quit now, every additional day of smoking will only make it harder.

Top Bottom