Quit smoking

Well, if you still can stay two days without your drug, your addiction to it is not yet fully developed. For a long time smoker, it is almost impossible to stay ONE day without a cig, unless he absolutely must for whatever reason.

So quit now, every additional day of smoking will only make it harder.

Long time smokers develop habit of chain smoking :) It was hard for me to quit there was time when i couldn't stand without smoking i did finished 2 packs a day (well people called me crazy) but now it feels good i quit it took me a while to get away from it also now i can control myself from smoking . Such thing happens when you get in circle of wrong friends .

I smoked from when I was 18 for about 11 years. I was a smoker when vB2 and vB3 were released. I gave up on the day before my first son was born (July 2007). No nicotine patches, no inhalation replacement gizmos, I just stopped. Willpower, tenacity, a desire to stop for my own benefit and that of those who depend on me.

in this matter, my advice is not to fanny about. Just quit. Don't look for a substitute, don't look for a nicotine replacement, just give it up and surprise yourself that you can do it.

I'll admit that I smoked on the night of my last day at Jelsoft. I was horrified that it had reached the point where I would resign from that job.

When I was told I had to quit in order for the surgery to go forward, I was smoking just at 2 packs per day. I have OCD, and get addicted to things very easily. I did try to quit for 2 weeks, and couldn't. I was in tears and stressed out about it. It was then that my doc prescribed the patch for me. Even then, for the first 3 or 4 days, I'd take the patch off so I could smoke! UGH.

My ex was able to quit cold. He just put 'em down and never touched 'em again. Good for him. I'm just thankful that for those of us who can't quit cold, there's help.

If people can't quit because of cravings ... they legitimately want to quit ... but the cravings make them cave in then Zyban (aka Bupropion) and Chantix (US) / Champix (Canada) are good options. Bupropion has risks, yes that is true, however it is approximately 2 million times safer than smoking. Some people say they don't want to take chemicals. I say there are 4,000 chemicals in 1 cigarette - 50 which are known to cause cancer, 2,000 are beyond the understanding of medical science. Smoking is now associated as a factor in almost every type of cancer. Smoking carries a 50% fatality rate: 50% of smokers die of smoking related problems. It is the leading cause of preventable death. Smoking destroys arteries: heart (heart attack) - brain (alzheimer's) - penis (impotence) - skin (wrinkles) - lungs (emphysema) ... etc (etc). Arteries are important. My Aunt died of lung cancer and I miss her everyday, so does my mom.

I know an older lady who used Zyban to quit and had a stroke... I have since learned it is a very dangerous drug - research this thoroughly yourself before going down that path!!!

Personally I don't think you need it, no one is more addicted to smoking than I was (or Jeff, or Peggy, or many many others who have quit) and if we can do it, so can anyone!

You can do it .. perhaps with the help of Nicotine replacement .. or just sheer will power..

But you CAN do it, you don't need anti addiction drugs imho.

Smoked for many years, despite going to the gym twice a day o_O and after moving back to the UK from Italy and seeing how much a packet of cigarettes cost, it was the extra incentive I'd been looking for and quit there and then.

I didn't use any aids and haven't had a cigarette in 15 years.

It was hard but as has already been said, you have to want to quit.

My ex was able to quit cold. He just put 'em down and never touched 'em again. Good for him. I'm just thankful that for those of us who can't quit cold, there's help.
I did it exactly the same way. Threw away what was left from my last package and that was it. Will power alone can do a lot, but people are different, so what works for one may not work for everyone else.

It was actually my 3rd attempt to quit and it worked best for me. Previously, I'd tried 2 times to slowly reduce cigarette consumption, but failed :)

after moving back to the UK from Italy and seeing how much a packet of cigarettes cost, it was the extra incentive I'd been looking for and quit there and then.

I was somewhere recently and noticed that the pack I used to smoke is now $15 at the cheap outlets, and $20 in the machines in bars etc, given I was smoking up to 2 packs a day, that is a serious amount of money to be throwing away every day!

The hardest part for me in giving up was the Anti Smoking Lobby who made me want to smoke just to spite them. Talk about twisting facts and telling outright lies.

Used the patches for about a week and haven't smoked since. From memory the third day of not smoking was the worse, if the longing gets bad take the dog for a walk or grab a shower ...

From memory the third day of not smoking was the worse, if the longing gets bad take the dog for a walk or grab a shower ...

aye I agree. All 4 times I tried, I never could get past that 3rd day. Even on the patch. I'd take it off so I could smoke, lol. ugh
I finally did make it tho, had no choice. The fourth day was my surgery. :confused:
Haven't had one since tho!

I smoked from when I was 16 to until a year ago. 31 years. When they reached $5 a pack, that was it for me. When I started I could buy them for .45 cents a pack from the vending machine :eek: I did as Kier and some others said, cold turkey. It nearly killed me (and those around me lol) but it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. (by the way, the last time was probably to umpteenth time I had tried to quit...difference that time was that I really wanted to quit)

Well basically I started at 14, and after 2 years im addicted, and its so hard to quit, I smoked 6 today, and I just cant get enough. I smoke the camel lights turkish blend cigarettes, I love turkish tobacco. I can stay 2 day without a cigarette only when I dont have money to pay for a pack, then after the two days I go crazy, I dont have a job, being 16 in america is tough to get jobs. I've been looking for a job like crazy so I can help out my mom, she is a single mother, and take care of some of my own costs, my mom helps me by paying for my website costs, because I still get good grades at school, and she supports me in making websites, and me wanting to be a programmer like kier. My moms side of the family has alot of heart problems, and my grandpa had so many strokes/attacks, its weird how he is still surviving after all he went through.

I know an older lady who used Zyban to quit and had a stroke... I have since learned it is a very dangerous drug - research this thoroughly yourself before going down that path!!!

So ... an older lady who smoked her whole life (let's say she is 70 and smoked for 55 years) , took Zyban to stop smoking ... had a stroke ... and you felt it was the Zyban ? So 55 years she participated in the second biggest risk factor for smoking .... and you blamed the Zyban ? Smoking doubles the risk of stroke. There does appear to be a vague association between Zyban and Stroke but the risk would range from nothing to very small. Smoking results in a 200% increase in stroke rate and the risk of stroke from smoking is related to how long you have smoked and how much you have smoked.

Ten risk factors were associated with 90 per cent of the risk of stroke: (biggest risk factors listed first)
high blood pressure,
smoking,
waist-to-hip ratio (abdominal obesity),
diet,
physical activity,
lipids (or fats),
diabetes,
alcohol intake,
stress and depression
heart disorders.

Personally I don't think you need it, no one is more addicted to smoking than I was (or Jeff, or Peggy, or many many others who have quit) and if we can do it, so can anyone!
You can do it .. perhaps with the help of Nicotine replacement .. or just sheer will power..
But you CAN do it, you don't need anti addiction drugs imho.

Of course some people can quit on their own. The human spirit is amazing.:) It is just a matter of willpower. If I said I would give 1 million dollars to everyone that could quit smoking ... the quit rate would be high. Sounds like Terrorz would quit for 1 million.
For those that can't quit on their own ... Medications to reduce the cravings to get people smoke free can be LIFEsaving medications.

Zyban = 1 drug, Smoking = 4,000 drugs (50 which cause cancer).

Smoking causes strokes, not Zyban.

To highlight the remote chance of getting a stroke on Zyban could deter many people from stopping smoking - a KNOWN and LEADING cause of stroke. The main reasons not to take Zyban are: you have had a seizure before, or you currently have an eating disorder (anorexia). You may want to double check you can't quit smoking on your own if you have already had a stroke, but I were in those shoes, I take a baby aspirin to prevent the stroke and use Zyban to stop the leading cause of Strokes.

This pro-drug post comes from a predominantly anti-Pharma poster !
People do take too many drugs.
People do NOT take enough Zyban. It is not a new drug, it has been on the market for 22 years. It's safety has been clearly established.
Smoking Kills, Zyban helps people quit.

Top Bottom