XF 2.0 Quick thread...can someone help make me smarter? :D

Chernabog

Okay so I have been having one hell of a time with the "quick threads" feature... it just does not 'seem' to work for me. I at first thought it was my theme, but then I went to the default and still it's a no go. I can type a title in the quick thread starter box, I can pick a prefix..... but it never opens up a place for me to type the message body of the post.

I was afraid it may be an add-on like my Similar Threads add on but I even disable that and nothing... what could I possibly be missing to make it work? :(

It's driving me bonkers.

Two questions.... okay, three questions....

(1) Did you try using the default XF theme instead of a custom theme?

(2) Did you try disabling all add-ons?

(3) Have you looked in your browser console to see if any JS errors are getting thrown?

Did you copy your live site to a new location AND you are using CDN? If so you need to update your CDN in config.php. I had that issue amongst a few others and was driving me nuts.

@tajhay thanks for helping, no my site has been in the same place forever. As for CDN I am not sure. I can check ACP -> search for CDN to see if I am using it. If I am, what do I need to update in the config.php? I am not too savvy with these things.

In fact, rather than leave a half-arse comment...I did check ACP and the only thing I see checked for CDN is:

Google Ajax API CDN

Should I change that to locally hosted?

Two questions.... okay, three questions....

(1) Did you try using the default XF theme instead of a custom theme?

(2) Did you try disabling all add-ons?

(3) Have you looked in your browser console to see if any JS errors are getting thrown?

Yes it occurs in default also. No I did not disable add-ons, other than similar threads because no other add-ons I have impact posting and I do not see errors?

Yes it occurs in default also. No I did not disable add-ons, other than similar threads because no other add-ons I have impact posting and I do not see errors?
Just for the nuts of it ;) try disabling all add-ons. You can do this in your config.php file by *temporarily* adding the line $config['enableListeners'] = 0; which is a lot faster than going into your ACP and disabling them one-by-one.

Assuming that it still isn't working...

If you're using Google Chrome, try clicking the 3-dots menu in the upper-right of the browser bar, choosing "More Tools" and then "Developer Tools". That will display a new window, usually attached to the right side. At the top of the window are several tab options. Choose the "Console" tab. Now go back and load up your XF page and click on the quick thread 'thread title' input box (the quick thread editor doesn't appear until the thread title text box is activated). Did anything show up being displayed in the console?

Just for the nuts of it ;) try disabling all add-ons. You can do this in your config.php file by *temporarily* adding the line $config['enableListeners'] = 0; which is a lot faster than going into your ACP and disabling them one-by-one.

Assuming that it still isn't working...

If you're using Google Chrome, try clicking the 3-dots menu in the upper-right of the browser bar, choosing "More Tools" and then "Developer Tools". That will display a new window, usually attached to the right side. At the top of the window are several tab options. Choose the "Console" tab. Now go back and load up your XF page and click on the quick thread 'thread title' input box (the quick thread editor doesn't appear until the thread title text box is activated). Did anything show up being displayed in the console?

I use Firefox. ;-) There has to be an easier way and even doing that, what will it tell me?

Most forum owners are not tech savvy individuals, it's why we buy the software. So the answer or solution you would imagine would be an easy one.

I am curious what @tajhay had to change in his config.php to make it work. Mine has never worked and I never think much of it, but as I am putting more and more investment into my community I'd like core functionality to work.

Has anyone else had this not work and found a reasonable solution to it?

I use Firefox. ;-) There has to be an easier way and even doing that, what will it tell me?
What will it tell you? Possibly the reason why something isn't working for you. But, hey, other than that, sure, it won't tell you much else.

If you're not going to make the effort to at least try different debugging suggestions then I guess your best bet is to just submit a support ticket and have one of the guys look at it directly.

BTW: In Firefox it'd be Hamburger menu => Web Developer => Browser Console or, if you're on Windows, CTRL+SHIFT+J.

Good luck.

Last edited:
What will it tell you? Possibly the reason why something isn't working for you. But, hey, other than that, sure, it won't tell you much else.

If you're not going to make the effort to at least try different debugging suggestions then I guess your best bet is to just submit a support ticket and have one of the guys look at it directly.

BTW: In Firefox it'd be Hamburger menu => Web Developer => Browser Console or, if you're on Windows, CTRL+SHIFT+J.

Good luck.

That will help, because F12 was not working for me. I use an iMac and it wasn't opening up any console windows. I do attempt to debug, as best I can, prior to asking for help even if my skill set is not the best.

Sadly, out of nowhere, I've noticed a large number of server errors popping up - a lot with XFMedia - that I have not had before...all today with no changes having been made. I even tried disabling via config.php in the scr directory as was mentioned and as I've had to do before to get around add-on issues.... but even when I did that.... the add-ons were still showing as active - so I just took the line out and left it as it was. Odd though and I think the server errors were related to that. Will see if new ones pop up.

@Drunken post the first screen once you get into your ACP. if the graph doesn't show up I suspect it's your config.php references to your cdn js files. Show that so we can better deduce it is/Not that.

Current ACP SS:

Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 1.43.26 AM.webp

If it's helpful there is nothing in my config.php that refers to CDN... the only line in my Config that is not related to the database and database login is only my superadmins and $config['fullUnicode'] = true;

I also had an interesting thing happen today -- when I made a new, empty, forum and went to use the quick thread/post feature it actually worked... but once there was already a post in thread it no longer functions. Does that help with any light bulb moments?

Does this help more?

Code:
Refused to execute script from 'https://titanx.games/js/DBTech/Credits/editor.min.js?_v=f5d00b8b' because its MIME type ('text/html') is not executable, and strict MIME type checking is enabled.
jquery.min.js:2 jQuery.Deferred exception: $(...).slick is not a function TypeError: $(...).slick is not a function
    at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> (https://titanx.games/forums/world-development.5/:4589:28)
    at j (https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.2.1/jquery.min.js:2:29999)
    at k (https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/3.2.1/jquery.min.js:2:30313) undefined
r.Deferred.exceptionHook @ jquery.min.js:2
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:7 No mobile version detected
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:10 Theme functions file was loaded
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:16 Beginning onDocumentReady functions
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:22 292.66668701171875
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:37 Ticker found and initializing
jquery.min.js:2 Uncaught TypeError: $(...).slick is not a function
    at HTMLDocument.<anonymous> ((index):4589)
    at j (jquery.min.js:2)
    at k (jquery.min.js:2)
theme-functions.js?_v=f5d00b8b:67 Beginning onWindowLoad functions
giphy.min.js?_v=f5d00b8b:5 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'DefineIcon' of undefined
    at giphy.min.js?_v=f5d00b8b:5
editor-compiled.js?_v=f5d00b8b:132 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'LANGUAGE' of undefined
    at Object.setupLanguage (editor-compiled.js?_v=f5d00b8b:132)
    at HTMLDocument.startAll (editor-compiled.js?_v=f5d00b8b:131)
    at HTMLDocument.e (jquery.min.js:3)
    at HTMLDocument.dispatch (jquery.min.js:3)
    at HTMLDocument.q.handle (jquery.min.js:3)
    at Object.trigger (jquery.min.js:4)
    at HTMLTextAreaElement.<anonymous> (jquery.min.js:4)
    at Function.each (jquery.min.js:2)
    at r.fn.init.each (jquery.min.js:2)
    at r.fn.init.trigger (jquery.min.js:4)

It seems the lower half may be the thread quick post challenge?

Looks like all the files haven’t been uploaded, that .min.js file was missing from the download for a short while. It was fixed a while ago :)

Fillip

Thank you.. I re-downloaded the latest DBTech Credits release and cost tossed it over the existing files. Should I refresh the site cache to see if it helps correct the problem?

Last edited:
Top Bottom