can someone help me with user group permissions

shimspedy

i have different user groups and im trying to limit certain user group like new bae to the only post repel but not post a thread but i can't get it... sometimes it affects all user groups and its really freaks me out everytime i woke up and see spam post

If you don't want newly registered users to post new threads, then:

Registered user group
Set "Post new thread" permission to No

Members user group (this would be a user group that all other members except newly registered users would be added to as a secondary user group):
Set "Post new thread" permission to Yes

Of course you will need to set up a user group promotion to automatically add users to this group (or you will have to manually approve it).

This won't stop spam posters though, they'll just post their spam in existing threads instead of new threads. A better solution is to moderate posts for all new users. See this post for details on how to do that:

i already did this but for me it doesn't work and when I select to never it affects all user groups

Last edited:
Are you leaving registered for primary usergroup and then changing secondary accordingly?

Show screenshots of the ACP what you have going on. For example permissions for that specific user group and then same thing for registered users. Use the analyze permissions feature as well and it should tell you why nobody can post. Permissions are easy once you get the hang of it. You most likely have something set to never instead of no. Never can't be over ridden by a yes.

i already did this but for me it doesn't work and when I select to never it affects all user groups

I don't believe selecting "never" is appropriate in this instance. Selecting "no" will do just fine. "Never" is rarely supposed to be selected. I can't quite remember an example for when you should use it but selecting "no" is all you need. Like @Martok said make a second usergroup where the group is secondary to registered. Have a user group promotion where the registered users based on the amount of posts or whatever you want gets promoted after they reach the amount and have the second usergroup you made in permissions where it's selected that they are able to post a new thread and registered can't. Setting up the usergroup promotion should work.

Top Bottom