quick question....

Yes, you can upload emoticons. I think there's a mod or two in the resources section too if you want to look. I don't think I'm using any of them but I remember one made it a bit easier to bulk upload. I guess its good I can't remember.

Smilies are easy to add via XenForo.

addingsmilies.webp

All you need is the title, replacement text and the url location.

The Sprite mode is optional.

There are third party add ons which allow bulk uploading of smilies. :)

Smilies are easy to add via XenForo.

All you need is the title, replacement text and the url location.

So, the smiley is dependent on it being available on the url you're linking to. It is not permanently stored in the directory or file that contains the default smilies.

Is that correct?

Frankly, I'm not fond of the default smilies. I would prefer to replace the whole lot.

So, the smiley is dependent on it being available on the url you're linking to. It is not permanently stored in the directory or file that contains the default smilies.

Is that correct?

Frankly, I'm not fond of the default smilies. I would prefer to replace the whole lot.

No, you can store them in a directory on your server then set the image replacement URL at those files.

The URL is the file location.

I'm not sure what it is you're trying to ask.
Well, let me approach it this way...at what url are the default smilies located?

I just want the smiley to be a permanent part of xenforo...that way if the url containing the linked-to smiley goes down the smiley will still be available.

Well, let me approach it this way...at what url are the default smilies located?
See the screenshot above.

I just want the smiley to be a permanent part of xenforo...that way if the url containing the linked-to smiley goes down the smiley will still be available.
I don't understand.
The smilies are stored on your server in the style directory.
If that "URL goes down", your whole site is down.

You could approach it another way. You could upload a 1280px smiley if you wanted. The system does not restrict this. Your other queries are also not restricted so if you choose to link smilies, you can, if you choose to change the default smilies, you can.

But as Brogan stated, if somehow the images go down on the site/location your linking to they won't show, it'll probably be best to self host them unless I'm missing something your specifically want to accomplish.

See the screenshot above.

Yeah, I saw that. I saw it again in the demo and I successfully added a smiley from a remote site that I have access to.

I don't understand.
The smilies are stored on your server in the style directory.
If that "URL goes down", your whole site is down.

Well, forgive me if I'm making this more complicated than it is. But if I place a link here on this forum to a photo on a remote site...such as Flickr...and Flickr crashes or decides to delete my photos, that link will be invalid and any inline display of the photo will disappear here, won't it?

The smiley upload/link process in the acp seems to be the same. I am probably misunderstanding something here but with all the other forums I've encountered/looked at if you want to store a photo or a smiley permanently in the same file/directory as the default smilies, you have to download it from an external location. You can't just link to it.

Perhaps one of the things making this seem obscure is that there doesn't appear to be any option in the acp to download/upload the smiley from my local HD.

If that's true of images/photos, as well, then members have to store all their photos on a remote site accessible as a url before they can post them to the form. Am I mistaken?

Again pardon my ignorance.

Yeah, I saw that. I saw it again in the demo and I successfully added a smiley from a remote site that I have access to.

Well, forgive me if I'm making this more complicated than it is. But if I place a link here on this forum to a photo on a remote site...such as Flickr...and Flickr crashes or decides to delete my photos, that link will be invalid and any inline display of the photo will disappear here, won't it?

The smiley upload/link process in the acp seems to be the same. I am probably misunderstanding something here but with all the other forums I've encountered/looked at if you want to store a photo or a smiley permanently in the same file/directory as the default smilies, you have to download it from an external location. You can't just link to it.

Perhaps one of the things making this seem obscure is that there doesn't appear to be any option in the acp to download/upload the smiley from my local HD.

If that's true of images/photos, as well, then members have to store all their photos on a remote site accessible as a url before they can post them to the form. Am I mistaken?

Again pardon my ignorance.

What exactly are you attempting? if your trying to change the coordinates and linking to an external spritesheet I can understand why your thinking this but i don't think the demo allows for you to upload your own files (spritesheet in this case). If and when you get your hands on xenforo (purchase it) your able to create your own spritesheet with your own custom smilies and host them on your server.

I don't understand exactly what issue your having tbh so I'm more guessing here.

You could approach it another way. You could upload a 1280px smiley if you wanted. The system does not restrict this. Your other queries are also not restricted so if you choose to link smilies, you can, if you choose to change the default smilies, you can.

But as Brogan stated, if somehow the images go down on the site/location your linking to they won't show, it'll probably be best to self host them unless I'm missing something your specifically want to accomplish.

Close...how do I do that? I didn't see the ability to do anything but link to a remote image. Even here in this editing window if I want to post a photo, I click on the "image" icon and all I get is the option to link to a url. What is the url of my local HD?

You need to FTP them to your server.
Which is the same thing you do with the files for the software.

Close...how do I do that? I didn't see the ability to do anything butlink to a remote image. Even here in this editing window if I want to post a photo, I click on the "image" icon and all I get is the option to link to a url. What is the url of my local HD?
Images in posts can be added (attached) by clicking the Upload a File button.
Doing so uploads the files to your server.

The default folder for smilies is ... /styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ ... you upload your smiley file there and then create the smiley code in the ACP and link to those images via a URL to your own site, e.g.;

http://your-site-url.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/angry.gif

angry[1].gif

Ta da ... :D

You need to FTP them to your server.
Which is the same thing you do with the files for the software.

Images in posts can be added by clicking the Upload a File button.
Ah. that seems a little different than the image loading conventions I am used to on vBulletin and phpBB boards. I post to a lot of vBulletin boards and the image icon on the toolbar is almost always the gateway to posting a photo stored on your local HD. I assumed it was the same for XF.

No problem, just needed to get it clear in my mind.

The default folder for smilies is ... /styles/default/xenforo/smilies/ ... you upload your smiley file there and then create the smiley code in the ACP and link to those images via a URL to your own site, e.g.;

That's helpful. Thanks.

Clicking on image icon in toolbar:
beers.gif

File upload:

pianodance.gif

Top Bottom