1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question before buying XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Ryan_, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Hi everyone! I recently decided to buy XenForo and import my data from my vBulletin 4 forum after testing out the demos - excellent software for sure! I just had a quick question I was hoping you guys could help me with:

I want to set up the XenForo Enhanced Search, but I am a little confused on how to set up elasticsearch:

* "Download":http://www.elasticsearch.org/download and unzip the ElasticSearch official distribution.
    * Run @bin/elasticsearch -f@ on unix, or @bin/elasticsearch.bat@ on windows.
    * Run @curl -X GET http://localhost:9200/@.
    * Start more servers ...

I understand the first part. The 2nd part seems easy enough for my Linux VPS. The 3rd part, is it literally localhost or are you supposed to replace that with something? And what do they mean by the "start more servers" part? Also, after that they give me an example for indexing:

Is any of that required to be done, or is it just an example? As I am not very familiar with SSH, I prefer doing a lot of things via other methods when applicable. And once all that is done, you just install the Enhanced Search add-on and the files that go with it and it takes affect immediately, correct?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Setting up ElasticSearch is super easy and does not require leaving the Admin CP.

What you quoted is advanced stuff for those that want to create a custom ElasticSearch index.

4. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Thanks Brogan, I found this thread and it seems very helpful: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-basic-elasticsearch-installation-debian-ubuntu.26163/

Oh okay, good to know. Don't you need to have root SSH access to install it though, as explained via the above linked thread?

5. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

All you need to do is install and start the Elasticsearch service. (Optionally configure it also)

Then in XenForo, install the addon and enable the search to use it, then rebuild the cache. The addon will create the search schemas for you.

6. AndyB

AndyB Well-Known Member

Correct if you want to install EleasticSearch on your server you would need ssh and root.

In my case I just emailed my web hosting company and asked them to install ElasticSearch onto my dedicated server.

7. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Okay, I understand how to do it now. Install it on the server, install the XenForo addon and follow the instructions for it, and then it's working. Thanks a lot for your help guys! Can't wait to purchase XenForo soon.

MattW likes this.
  8. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

You'll not regret it :)

Tracy Perry, Ryan_ and Shelley like this.
  9. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

#Fact

Truly a great product and can only repeat what Matt said. ;)

Edit: You won't regret it. :D

Tracy Perry, Ryan_ and MattW like this.
  10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I disagree, you will definitely regret it.

Whereas before you had hours of free time, now you will spend those hours styling, tweaking the style again, checking out add-ons and setting them up, fiddling with the style again, playing with the features, posting more, styling, and so on :D

Liam W, Ryan_, Tracy Perry and 2 others like this.
  11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

and spending just as much time on here as you do on your own site!

12. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Your post is edited for correctness. :p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
    Liam W, Shelley and MattW like this.
  13. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Looks like I'll need more hours of the day to continue to have a life outside the internet then, eh? :p Nah, who needs a life outside the internet when you have a XenForo forum, filled with such wonders as you just described - what more could one ask for in their life!

I think I'll stick with equal amounts of time on both, as my members would begin to miss me otherwise. :D

Liam W, Renada and MattW like this.
  14. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Oh and I thought up a couple more questions for you guys:

1. Can anyone recommend a good add-on or way to daily backup my database and my files, with instructions if needed?
    2. Does VAT apply for someone in the US? I don't think it does thanks to my research, I just want to make sure.

15. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

VAT does not apply in the US.

16. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

1. http://xenforo.com/community/resources/auto-database-backup-script.1664/

17. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

Thanks, glad someone confirmed that!
    I was looking at that one, and the only question I had is this:

How would I remove the foreach loop and set the array to be a single variable, since I will only be using one XenForo site and therefore one database/file system? I know I haven't bought XenForo yet, but it'd be nice to know before I actually buy it and download the add-on.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Without looking at the add-on, I can't really help. But MattW is very active and very helpful. I'm sure he'll help you out, if not, the community here is knowledgeable and can help.

MattW likes this.
  19. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

All you need to do is change the array of files to a single variable:

Code:
    $file = "$dir/z22seforum.$today.sql.bz2"
    then, remove the foreach loop from the $ftp->put command
    Code:
            $ftp->put($file)
              or warn "Upload failed ", $ftp->message;

20. Ryan_

Ryan_ Active Member

I'm assuming in that case you DON'T need to do the same thing for $ftp->delete and the line under "# Array of Old Database Files to be Deleted", correct? Also, do you replace http://prntscr.com/1gs5sa << those with the actual information?