Not planned Quick Links... why?

digitalpoint

Let me preface this by saying that I already know I'm the world's most anal human being, so no need to point that out... :)

In the navigation bar, some of the tabs give a pop-up menu (for example Members). What is the purpose of the "Quick Links" label in there? What makes those links quick exactly? Or more importantly, do you really think someone would open that menu and not see the label letting them know there are links in it and be like, "Damn, I wish I could click on these menu items, but I guess they aren't links..."

To *me* it seems like something left over from 10 years ago when DHTML was a novel new thing. Back then they were "quick" because, wow... you could get a menu quickly without needing to go to a table of contents page. But today, I'd say users are past needing a link on a menu labeled as a link.

I would even argue that the "Members" label within the menu should be removed... I just clicked (or hovered) over the Members link, isn't it kind of redundant that this is a members menu? The title in the menu itself would be more appropriate if it was just an icon you were clicking.

In the end, does putting a menu title of "Members" and "Quick Links" make the user experience better for users, or is it there for no purpose other than to just have it there?

Removing both items just looks better/less cluttered in my opinion...

Image%202011.12.29%204:49:27%20PM.png

Upvote 12
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Ah so I see that I'm not the only one, heck that was probably one of the first things I did. Lol

Second being getting the user section out of the navbar and up where it belongs.

6158d1325038753-little-teaser-whats-come-alerts.jpg

Just add display:none; to the appropriate style property under the Popup Menu group.

Popup Control Menus

That disappears the arrow but with it disappears the dropdown as well.
Needs a way to make the dropdown appear on hover on the top header menu link.

Scratch that, I forgot that wasn't part of default style properties for XenForo.

Code:
.menuHeader { display:none;}

#AccountMenu .menuHeader { display:inherit; }

This will rid the headings from everything but the AccountMenu dropdown.

I can't decide what's best. Your logic makes perfect sense, but then the current menu to me looks more appealing because it seems to have structure and space. But this is something to think about.

Edit: after some thinking I say remove the 'Quick Links' but keep the title because it looks clean IMO (and it's also used in other menus).

Scratch that, I forgot that wasn't part of default style properties for XenForo.
Code:
.menuHeader { display:none;}
#AccountMenu .menuHeader { display:inherit; }

This will rid the headings from everything but the AccountMenu dropdown.

I put it in EXTRA.css with no result on that pesky arrow.
You must mean Style Properties - which one? There are several about popup menus.

I really like the cleaned up dropdown without header. Thanks lots.
dropdown1.webp

getting the user section out of the navbar and up where it belongs.

6158d1325038753-little-teaser-whats-come-alerts.jpg

Any chance of instructions how to do that?
I want to use Jake's nodetabs and this would clear heaps of tab space - I also totally agree it's logical design.

Any chance of instructions how to do that?
I want to use Jake's nodetabs and this would clear heaps of tab space - I also totally agree it's logical design.
Lol It's a pretty much a hack job. However I can tell you that you'll need to spilt off part of the navigation temp code off into its own temp.

BTW, this was implemented in XF2. haha, now just need to get rid of the sub-forum menus that are titled sub-forums when the link says that. haha

Top Bottom