Questions about Add Ons and Installs

web09

This is a request for help from a new user and also a general comment.

1. I'm still a HUGE fan of the sw. Getting my forums and content organized into the new system has been great except for the following

2. The add/ons and resources seem to be very inconsistent with how they are installed. Yes, I know that you upload them into the library directory but some developers have subfolders within their zip files, and I've tried all kinds of different ways of installing add/ons with various sucessses and sometimes wasting hours or days trying to figure out where the files go on trying to get different addons going

3. Would it be possible to ask developers of add ons to add a quick read me to each zip file which clearly designates how/which folders are uploaded and where they go?

4. For example, I'd love to use or try the BBCM code add on, but there is a BBCM_1.3.2 folder, which then opens up to BBCM_1.3.2 folder which then has to folders 1-Upload and 2-xml add on. Open up the upload and there's a js, library , and styles subfolder (Just a simple upload this directory to ___place where it goes) would really be helpful. It's so frustrating to waste days on this and finally figure it out after trial and error. I've tried numerous combos and still get errors when trying to install this one.

5. I still can't get the BBCM to install, so then I tried the AddOnInstaller --- great idea btw. But the BBCM is not supported apparently because I get the message "There is no upload directory found within this archive. This add on does not suppor the Add-On-Installer." Ok, so the auto-install couldn't find the directory either....

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I'm quite appreciative for all the great coders here, but not all of us have a coding background. And even if I did, just having concise instructions goes a long way.

If anyone knows how to install the BBCM please advise. Thank you.

This is a request for help from a new user and also a general comment.

1. I'm still a HUGE fan of the sw. Getting my forums and content organized into the new system has been great except for the following

2. The add/ons and resources seem to be very inconsistent with how they are installed. Yes, I know that you upload them into the library directory but some developers have subfolders within their zip files, and I've tried all kinds of different ways of installing add/ons with various sucessses and sometimes wasting hours or days trying to figure out where the files go on trying to get different addons going

3. Would it be possible to ask developers of add ons to add a quick read me to each zip file which clearly designates how/which folders are uploaded and where they go?

4. For example, I'd love to use or try the BBCM code add on, but there is a BBCM_1.3.2 folder, which then opens up to BBCM_1.3.2 folder which then has to folders 1-Upload and 2-xml add on. Open up the upload and there's a js, library , and styles subfolder (Just a simple upload this directory to ___place where it goes) would really be helpful. It's so frustrating to waste days on this and finally figure it out after trial and error. I've tried numerous combos and still get errors when trying to install this one.

5. I still can't get the BBCM to install, so then I tried the AddOnInstaller --- great idea btw. But the BBCM is not supported apparently because I get the message "There is no upload directory found within this archive. This add on does not suppor the Add-On-Installer." Ok, so the auto-install couldn't find the directory either....

Anyway, don't get me wrong. I'm quite appreciative for all the great coders here, but not all of us have a coding background. And even if I did, just having concise instructions goes a long way.

If anyone knows how to install the BBCM please advise. Thank you.
First off welcome to the site,

2. I don't have a problem with it, most addons have pretty clear instructions in them, though what is debatable is what is clear in one persons mind may not be clear in another's. If that is the case being in a zip or in plain text on the forums in the addons post is pretty much the same outcome.

3. If you want to start a convo with me and explain what it is you are unsure of I will make an explanatory video showing what needs to go where, once you get the basics you will see most addons are installed the same way, a few might need to have a template edit done to work properly and some addons need a created folder, other than those things which usually are notated in the addons decription things are pretty standard.

4. / 5. I can help you install it, again just start a convo with me.

First off welcome to the site,

2. I don't have a problem with it, most addons have pretty clear instructions in them, though what is debatable is what is clear in one persons mind may not be clear in another's. If that is the case being in a zip or in plain text on the forums in the addons post is pretty much the same outcome.

3. If you want to start a convo with me and explain what it is you are unsure of I will make an explanatory video showing what needs to go where, once you get the basics you will see most addons are installed the same way, a few might need to have a template edit done to work properly and some addons need a created folder, other than those things which usually are notated in the addons decription things are pretty standard.

4. / 5. I can help you install it, again just start a convo with me.

Thank you so very much for the fast response and offer to help. When I came back on to read the responses, both you and Cédric posted. Thanks to you both!

Because of the note just to upload in the root directory..that solved the issue!

I had tried almost every other combination but was uploading in the Library folder instead of the root. Simple..thing but when you're new...it's the little things that make a difference.

I'm learning, so thanks for the help and your patience with a newcomer.

Top Bottom