Question for the Big Boards regarding Adsense $100 a day possible?

surfsup

I currently only have 1 adsense ad up on the Homepage, no where else and get around $3-10/day off of it.

The other ads are paid sponsors.

My question is, is it possible to reach $100/day with Adsense all over the forum in replace of Sponsors perhaps?

What does it take to reach that goal?

Thanks!

It is certainly possible!

You should attend the free "adsense in your city" seminar if possible. Also, study the goog recomendations and "heat maps".....

Here are some of the issues. IMHO, which of course depends on the site content, a sponsor will give you more money than adsense. The good news here is that adsense is catching up as more and more of those same sponsors start doing web bidding (my price per click has doubled over 3 years from goog).

You have to weigh the hassle factor of collecting money from sponsors...against adsense. Also, you can set up adsense and then allow your sponsors (and anyone anywhere) to purchase and target campaigns through adwords.....so you can get the best of both worlds.

Based on getting as much as $10 a day now, I would say that your goal is possible - maybe even relatively easy. But you have to do things right...in terms of ad setup, etc.

Almost 7 million posts, 100,000 members, Dutch community. I got an AdSense banner running in 4 sub-forums. Get about $110 / month. But sure it may be possible. Let me know when you find out how. :p

How many page views/unique visitors are you getting per month? It's all about traffic really...
Between 40,000-50,000 uniques, 600-900k monthly page views according to google anayltics.

12k members & 300,000+ posts

Going by late last year results but since I recently switched to Xenforo I have lost some SEO and hoping to regain it back asap.

I currently have some paid sponsors but yes it is a hassle in my opinion.

Can you explain? How long is their contract normally? Do they approach you directly? Do you use a flatrate or CPM?
My experience is that direct selling ads can bring in revenue that make adsense seems miniscule.

Between 40,000-50,000 uniques, 600-900k monthly page views according to google anayltics.

12k members & 300,000+ posts

Going by late last year results but since I recently switched to Xenforo I have lost some SEO and hoping to regain it back asap.

What's the URL of your site? Beyond ad placement and things, AdSense is also going to be variable based on the types of topics being generated.

It's going to be a fine line about being too annoying and driving users away in the long run vs. not enough ads to generate enough revenue.

There are 2 things we did that drastically increased our ad revenue...

1. Throwing an ad into a random location INSIDE the post the user is currently reading. For example, look here... you will see an AdSense ad inside the first post. Reload the page and it moves. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2510990 This is the single biggest thing that I've found to exponentially increase AdSense revenue (we try to not annoy registered users too much, so only guests see it that way). We released an add-on to do it for XenForo: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/digital-point-ad-positioning.232/ If you look at the last comment in the discussion thread about it, the user is seeing 3x to 10x more ad revenue because of it.

2. This has nothing to do with AdSense, but when we started selling ads directly to advertisers, our overall ad revenue went up about 500% (without adding an extra placements), so I wouldn't ignore that. It just depends on if your site is popular enough that people are wanting to advertise on it directly. I ended up building a system to manage it all (that way it's all a hands-off [for me], self-help system for advertisers): http://advertising.digitalpoint.com/ It became popular enough with advertisers just on digitalpoint.com that they were asking to use the system on their own sites, so I rebuilt it so other sites can use it too.

What's the URL of your site? Beyond ad placement and things, AdSense is also going to be variable based on the types of topics being generated.

It's going to be a fine line about being too annoying and driving users away in the long run vs. not enough ads to generate enough revenue.

There are 2 things we did that drastically increased our ad revenue...

1. Throwing an ad into a random location INSIDE the post the user is currently reading. For example, look here... you will see an AdSense ad inside the first post. Reload the page and it moves. http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2510990 This is the single biggest thing that I've found to exponentially increase AdSense revenue (we try to not annoy registered users too much, so only guests see it that way). We released an add-on to do it for XenForo: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/digital-point-ad-positioning.232/ If you look at the last comment in the discussion thread about it, the user is seeing 3x to 10x more ad revenue because of it.

2. This has nothing to do with AdSense, but when we started selling ads directly to advertisers, our overall ad revenue went up about 500% (without adding an extra placements), so I wouldn't ignore that. It just depends on if your site is popular enough that people are wanting to advertise on it directly. I ended up building a system to manage it all (that way it's all a hands-off [for me], self-help system for advertisers): http://advertising.digitalpoint.com/ It became popular enough with advertisers just on digitalpoint.com that they were asking to use the system on their own sites, so I rebuilt it so other sites can use it too.
Wow thank you very much! Click here to view my forum. What I run into is companies will come in, advertise for a month then leave then couple months later advertise again. Pricing on other sites charge around 800/month just for a 468x60 banner so i try to stay half the price per month than the major industry companies that has more value due to being in business longer but their traffic is purely garbage compared to ours. We have hundreds of more daily posts and about 6x the mount of monthly traffic than the competitors. I admit, that I don't really know which sections for advertising banners/textual ads would be best for my site, i know i have too many 468x60 banners up top and bottom of the forum and inbetween the 1st post of every thread. I really need a 'revamp' of the homepage, forum and within the threads of what kind of banners / textual *sizes* to use that will work out best. Thank you so much for your time, ive been a member of your forum for the past 3 years :)

Forgot to mention I also use EPOM for tracking all my banner statistics, its pretty good as they can target certain geographic areas and so on.

But all my banner advertising is a Flat monthly rate.

Probably a good idea to just do some A/B testing with stuff as well... all sites are different, so what works for one, might not work for your, and vice versa... for a site like yours, I'd make small changes to placement or sizes, let it run for a few days and record how the changes affected clicks, revenue, etc... and just rinse and repeat until you find what works best for your site.

Like you might find having LESS ads increased ad revenue because your click through ratio goes up... but all stuff you should be testing really...

I only sell yearly packages to my sponsors - which eliminates a lot of the hassle.

What I am working toward is to eventually just keep by BIG sponsors ($3K per year and up) and then use adsense for the remainder. But my story may be different than some - I am not trying hard to increase revenue because I am entering semi-retirement.

Then again, if a qualified party wanted to buy my site for a cool million and then triple the revenue (easily possible), I'd consider it....maybe...

To do that properly would require at least a part-time sales person.

Probably a good idea to just do some A/B testing with stuff as well... all sites are different, so what works for one, might not work for your, and vice versa... for a site like yours, I'd make small changes to placement or sizes, let it run for a few days and record how the changes affected clicks, revenue, etc... and just rinse and repeat until you find what works best for your site.

Like you might find having LESS ads increased ad revenue because your click through ratio goes up... but all stuff you should be testing really...
What wordpress theme are you using on digitalpointads.com ? I'd actually like to use a theme like that for selling advertising and premium forum memberships....i understand if you cant tell me haha :D

I only sell yearly packages to my sponsors - which eliminates a lot of the hassle.

What I am working toward is to eventually just keep by BIG sponsors ($3K per year and up) and then use adsense for the remainder. But my story may be different than some - I am not trying hard to increase revenue because I am entering semi-retirement.

Then again, if a qualified party wanted to buy my site for a cool million and then triple the revenue (easily possible), I'd consider it....maybe...

I am trying to make a career out of this. :)

$100 per day is possible. In fact much more than that if the traffic and their geographic location is 'nice' in Google's eyes. Typically North American audience pays more than the rest of the world.

Great for revenue but our community wouldn't like it. Better yet, I don't like it. I find that advertising too intrusive.
I believe there must be a clear line between content and advertising.

Great for revenue but our community wouldn't like it. Better yet, I don't like it. I find that advertising too intrusive.
I believe there must be a clear line between content and advertising.
I'm trying it now, just for guests only. No problems so far and I see an increase in revenue already.

Nah... just depends on how you implement it. As of right now, we have 1,347 different PAYING advertisers that have bought ad space directly from us. Of those, we have done zero support, payment processing or ad placement for them. Our system is a self-help system, so advertisers do it all themselves. The only thing that we have to do is we review ads... so they just go to a review queue and we just click "Yes or No"... once an ad is approved the advertiser can run it as much as they want. It's a pre-pay system, so advertisers have to fund their account (also automated) before they can run their ad... that way we don't have to deal with trying to collect money.

Point is, we have zero staff trying to get advertisers or needing to support them.

Nah... just depends on how you implement it. As of right now, we have 1,347 different PAYING advertisers that have bought ad space directly from us. Of those, we have done zero support, payment processing or ad placement for them. Our system is a self-help system, so advertisers do it all themselves. The only thing that we have to do is we review ads... so they just go to a review queue and we just click "Yes or No"... once an ad is approved the advertiser can run it as much as they want. It's a pre-pay system, so advertisers have to fund their account (also automated) before they can run their ad... that way we don't have to deal with trying to collect money.

Point is, we have zero staff trying to get advertisers or needing to support them.

Right - that can work...BUT, a bidding system with relatively low minimum will end up giving you a much lower price than yearly rates for a client who wants targeted ads. It always depends on the type of site. For instance, a site which is about power tools is likely to be able to get much more from a individually sold client than from a bidding system.

However, I am finding that as time goes by, the two are getting closer. As more and more businesses want to advertise online, the bidding model is likely to do better and better.

In my case, I'd guess we often get 2 to 3X the revenue from a "private" client as we do from a bid (adsense) model. Another advantage of the "private" model is that you can have certain inventory sold for a year in advance.

Because we started selling ads in 1996, we didn't have much choice.....private was the only model available. I celebrated when adsense started!

Top Bottom