Question about promotions

empire

We’re considering moving our board from vbulletin 4. We have around 6.5 million posts and 40k members, 7k active.

We have a subforum that’s only accessible by people with 50 posts. As soon as a member reaches 50 posts (and cron runs), they get promoted to an additional usergroup that gives them access.

I have a couple of questions about how this works in XenForo:

In vbulletin, once someone is promoted to the usergroup, they never lose access, even if a moderator deletes some of their posts, putting them below the 50-post threshold. My understanding is that in XenForo, they will lose access if their post count drops. Is that the case? If so, is there a way to prevent that from happening?

When we import our data, there will be members who are normally in this group on vbulletin but do not have enough posts by XenForo criteria. Will they be demoted? If so, is there a way to prevent this?

In vbulletin, once someone is promoted to the usergroup, they never lose access, even if a moderator deletes some of their posts, putting them below the 50-post threshold. My understanding is that in XenForo, they will lose access if their post count drops. Is that the case? If so, is there a way to prevent that from happening?

This may be incorrect, but you might be able to prevent the user losing access should their post count drop by using the "User is NOT a member of any of the selected user groups" condition (and selecting the group which permits access to the subforum).

Last edited:
So if I have a usergroup called Access, you’re saying to import the existing Access members as a different usergroup (say, VB Refugees) and then don’t involve that usergroup in the promotions criteria moving forward? That makes sense.

Any solution for the first issue? I tested it on the demo site and it does look like I lost access when my post count dropped.

There's no way to change that promotion behavior.

There may be a somewhat hacky way to emulate it involving a second promotion that effectively "re-promotes" but I don't think I could recommend doing that. (It would involve setting up a second promotion that promotes them based on them already being in the group to record some internal information. It's sort of abusing some technical details.)

Top Bottom