Question about my avatar

Chimpie

Why does my avatar appear blurry? And why is my copyright symbol black.

The file is .png if that makes a difference.

Chimpie

Hi Chimpie and welcome :) I think they all get converted to jpegs. Or at least, everything I tried was converted to a jpg even when it didn't need resizing. And jpegs don't have transparency.

Avatars are resized for use in the forum threads and converted to jpg which don't support transparency.
The resizing also introduces artefacts.
Graphics such as the one you have used don't lend themselves to being resized too well due to scaling/interpolation.

If you click on it to view your membercard or go to your profile, you will see a better quality version.

Avatars can be up to 192x384 pixels so try experimenting with different sizes.

Brogan, is there any way we can change those parameters for ourselves? On our own boards I mean.
Do you mean the dimension (wxh)?
With code edits it possibly would be but then you'd have problems with the layout as the images would be too small/large.

I don't think there is anything in the ACP to do with avatar sizes, etc.
Don't quote me on that though ;)

Because JPGs come out about 5-10 times smaller (not a scientific number this time around). I did some analysis earlier, and we're talking 3KB vs 20+KB.

Well, it may be worth to convert avatars to JPG, but it would nice and more convenient to have an option in the AdminCP to switch the conversion On/Off. I see in many forum users are crazy about their avatars and some of them like moving avatars.
I'm not sure how easy/difficult that might be, but I think you should take it into account.

Top Bottom