1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about delayed inserts

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Mindzipper, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mindzipper

Mindzipper Member

I'm trying to track down a load issue i'm getting and I ran into something strange

'waiting for insert' is coming up while monitoring mariaDB, and it even changes the username to 'delayed'.

I'm trying to figure out if this could be causing the issue. this seems to be random

when i see these they seem to run to about 300 seconds then time out.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I assume based on the title of the thread that you know the cause (insert delayed) and that this is really expected as that's how MySQL has implemented them. You can disable the "Enable Delayed Insert SQL Queries" option if you don't want them.
  3. Mindzipper

Mindzipper Member

yep i know the cause, i'm not clear on the reason for using delayed inserts. without causing problems could someone help me understand? if it's not that big a deal I can turn them off (I assume without hunting this is done in a config somewhere but I will look it up)
  4. Mike

It's just designed to be an optimization, but a minor one and likely system dependent. You're free to disable it.
  5. Mindzipper

Mindzipper Member

THank you. I searched the manual, and google for disabling delayed entries and didn't find anything. do you mind if I ask where to disable it if I want to test?
  6. Mike

You can use the ACP search for the option I mentioned above.
  7. Mindzipper

Mindzipper Member

derp. right you are. found it. thank you very much. sorry about that
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

Delayed insert really shouldn't be used in XenForo unless you have a really bizarre situation, as it will make things slower.

Also, INSERT DELAYED as a whole is deprecated in MySQL 5.6 and will be removed completely from MySQL at some point.

maxicep and eva2000 like this.