Delayed Insert

SandyF

My host just sent me an email, copy/pasted below.

An anyone tell me what this means? Thanks!

System administration was forced to stop a "delayed insert" on one of your MySQL databases due to the resource consumption that this type of query causes. Below is the information we saw which forced us to stop the insert:

| 382397 | DELAYED | localhost | xxxxx_xfdb | Delayed insert | 126 | Waiting for INSERT | |
| 382897 | DELAYED | localhost | xxxxx_xfdb | Delayed insert | 62 | Waiting for INSERT |

please review your site's code to determine why these inserts may have been running and if possible, prevent this activity from happening.

Are you sure your host knows what he does?
Delayed inserts are a pretty normal way for a software to optimize performance but if he doesn't want delayed inserts he can configure mySQL so that delayed inserts aren't allowed and handled as normal inserts.

Well, my host just wrote back and informed me:

Delayed inserts may increase your particular sites performance, however overall they are detrimental to the performance of the server. Since it is a shared environment we cannot make server-wide modifications that may negatively impact other users. You will need to eliminate or minimize delayed inserts from your software.

So, I don't imagine you are going to rewrite your software any time soon and I need to find another host.

The logic of your hosts tech is flawed. He basically says:

I don't want you to use delayed inserts but I also don't want to switch them off.
rolleyes.png

Feh. I've been with these guys less than a month and only just got my site back to 100% functionality after the last move.

Anyone have a recommendations for XenForo-friendly hosts in a shared server configuration? I probably have 8-10 people browsing the forums at any given time and around 10-20 new posts a day.

Thanks!

You could put hostgator on your list, probably on the bottom of your list. They do have phone support and are easy to understand. The trouble with hosting is there is a lot to consider, for instance many don't want or need phone support, and of course many are simply re-sellers of accounts purchased from places like hostgator.

I say 'bottom' of your list because eventually the little things of their shared hosting will aggravate you, or at least it aggravated me when we were with them. Random sql errors, inconsistent (but quite pleasant) tech support, things like that.

The following is from my web guy to relate his conversation with the host.
I spoke with the back-line administration at our host. This is what she told me:

The configuration of the forum script creates a backup in the SQL request queue on a shared hosting package. She claims that when the "delay insert" delays the request, it stops all other request traffic from all the other sites on the shared server. In other words, they have a single lane road that does not allow the traffic behind to pass-by the stopped vehicle(s).

From my conversation with her, InMotion has no imagination or even worse, no inclination to attempt any kind of change to the SQL serve to allow a "passing lane" for slower or stopped traffic.

I am thinking however, (but I do not know how big a deal it is to rescript) it could be a logical enhancement to the Forum script to have a switch to shut-off the delay insert. This kind of change would seem to create more flexibility of the Forum needing to interact with a wide-range of hosting set-ups. Just a thought for the Suggestion Box.

Unfortunately, the analogy with the road isn't correct. A "delayed" insert is no different from a regular insert in terms of blocking. Really, there isn't any blocking that's appreciable (in the average case; in the extreme case, the blocking with a delayed insert is no different than a regular insert).

So, I don't imagine you are going to rewrite your software any time soon and I need to find another host.
I've used Futurequest.net for a number of nears for managed, shared hosting, they don't oversell, they're honest, and they've been around since about 1998 I think. It is stable and they know what they're doing, although they have a few quirks (such as PHP safe mode being on, but they have their own replacement for that, for software that requires safe mode to be off).

I am using InMotionHositng and for the last 2 weeks I am having all kinds of issues with them. Every time I talked to them they told me its a software issue look @ your code. They also mentioned that the DELAYED INSERTS are cousing problems on the shared SQL server.

Here is the latest quote from their logs:

6986 Prepare [9] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view
6986 Execute [9] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view
7067 Prepare [10] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view
7067 Execute [10] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view
11508 Prepare [7] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view
11508 Execute [7] INSERT DELAYED INTO xf_thread_view

So far not impressed with inmotion to say the least ...

Here is one more:

"System administration has been tracking higher resource usage on the machine housing your account and has traced these issues to long running mysql queries related to your account. We may be forced to suspend or have already suspended your site in order to stabilize the server.

Most queries should complete in less than a second. Some of the queries related to your account take a a lot longer than this to complete and seem to be the source of some latency we are seeing in the server's response.

Here are examples of such queries:

| 1310 | DELAYED | localhost | myDBName | Delayed insert | 36 | Waiting for INSERT | |
| 1325 | DELAYED | localhost | myDBName | Delayed insert | 34 | Waiting for INSERT
"

Those hosts simply have no idea what they are doing. They just see the word "delayed" and think "hmm this must be delaying things in server" :D

But there is no difference in terms of load on the server. In fact it should be lower compared to any vbulletin forum. We moved two large forums to xenforo on our server and server is doing much better. Those logs mean nothing.

Those hosts simply have no idea what they are doing. They just see the word "delayed" and think "hmm this must be delaying things in server" :D

But there is no difference in terms of load on the server. In fact it should be lower compared to any vbulletin forum. We moved two large forums to xenforo on our server and server is doing much better. Those logs mean nothing.

Yep... but how do you explain this to the so called "admins" in inmotion ...

PS. I obviously need to move my sites to different host etc. but for now I really would like to know the root of my issues ...

Top Bottom