1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVHVM + Rackspace + Centos 6.5 = I could die right now.

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Slavik, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Just fired up a new VM using the above setup.

I have never seen anything so fast in my life, whatever setup they've got going here is absolutely phenomenal. It blasted though the first part of this guide in under 30 seconds: http://xenforo.com/community/resour...tos-openlitespeed-percona-with-pictures.1844/

Literally by the time I tabbed, copied the next command and tabbed back, it was waiting for me for everything.

Doing an import on this server (10M posts)... will see how quick it is on that later.
    Amaury and MattW like this.
  2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

3. Slavik

Yea, using the 15GB Performance version. Its absolutely blisteringly fast. I have a couple of their other cloud servers up and running, but this is the first one ive made with PVHVM, and wow... just... wow...
    MattW likes this.
  4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

and they are actually honest about what you are getting resource wise....which makes a really nice change in the cloud / vps world

5. Slavik

Wouldn't expect anything less from rackspace to be honest.
  6. Moshe1010

Moshe1010 Well-Known Member

For £456.25 / Mo, it shouldn't be anything less than "wow"
    FredC likes this.
  7. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

£365 if it's not managed ;)
    Moshe1010 likes this.
  8. woei

woei Well-Known Member

It should be blistering fast for that price. Got 2 love the power of decent SSD's in a raid 10 configuration. But the best virtualisation platform for me is vSphere.
  9. Slavik

With rackspace you are paying for the SLA and the service, not the hardware. SLA's to most people are a "convenience", but when you have customers who even an hour of downtime or slowness can cost them thousands in revenue, you want the best behind you.
  10. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I have one of these new SSD rackspace server and it's cheaper than the HD rackspace server that I replaced it with, for the same amount of RAM.
    It's true that people pay big bucks for Rackspace for their industry top SLA.
  11. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

what cpus they using these days ?

only problem is bandwidth costs $0.12/GB = $120/TB can add up !
  12. woei

woei Well-Known Member

You know what they say: "If you pay peanuts you will get monkeys." This is especially true in the hosting world. People with the cheapest hosting will whine when they can't get decent support when there are troubles with their servers. No **** if you pay only a couple dollars a month.

But out of curiosity, can you post a benchmark or something? :)
    wedgar likes this.
  13. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

14. pjkenned

pjkenned Member

I have to agree fully. Moving from AWS to colocation (~300/ month for a 1/4 cab) saved me $5500 in the first year, driven largely by bandwidth cost savings. I did a little write-up here: http://www.servethehome.com/sth-colocation-1-year-review/

And I'm only using like 5mbps @ 95th