PushBullet or Pushover for Mobile Notifications?

The Grand Potentate

I've been looking at both services as a way to add in push notifications for members but I can't really make out too many fundamental differences. PushOver costs $5 for the app but seems to be the more mature platform. PushBulket is free and seems to be well liked. Anyone tried either of the services, or both, and could give an opinion on how they work and why you did/didn't like them?

I use Pushover with Chris D's Pushover add-on. It works well, plus I also get push alerts from this site too. :)

I use Pushover with Chris D's Pushover add-on. It works well, plus I also get push alerts from this site too. :)
I was reading the addon thread and saw your replies. Let me ask you, how did your members take having to buy the app to use the software feature? Have you seen widespread acceptance?

I don't know how many actually use it. Cost was never the issue, it was more a case of whether they wanted push alerts or not. Do bear in mind that users who have used Tapatalk in the past will likely have paid for that app before they offered a free version with ads.

I don't know how many actually use it. Cost was never the issue, it was more a case of whether they wanted push alerts or not. Do bear in mind that users who have used Tapatalk in the past will likely have paid for that app before they offered a free version with ads.
Oh, its not an issue for me, but people don't like spending money for free things. For me its more of an interest in giving the users options that they will actually be able to take advantage of. That's one of the appealing things with PushBullet - no upfront costs for anyone.

I am interested in services whose up front costs are cheaper. I know xfrocks has done that. In theory it wouldn't be too difficult to add more services to my existing add-on as I kept that in mind while coding t.

But, at the same time, I'm cautious of services who don't seem to have a sustainable business model. To be fair I haven't looked at the others in any detail, but what's to stop them from disappearing completely or start pushing ads through or start selling or stealing your personal info?

It's just worth giving it some thought and research.

I am interested in services whose up front costs are cheaper. I know xfrocks has done that. In theory it wouldn't be too difficult to add more services to my existing add-on as I kept that in mind while coding t.

But, at the same time, I'm cautious of services who don't seem to have a sustainable business model. To be fair I haven't looked at the others in any detail, but what's to stop them from disappearing completely or start pushing ads through or start selling or stealing your personal info?

It's just worth giving it some thought and research.
Chris this wasn't meant to be a comparison of the addons but of how forum owners found usage and function amongst their users. My main concern is user adoption. The points you make are all valid but if the cheap ass bums who use my forum don't ever bother to invest in the PushOver app, then its basically a waste of money. Obviously, we're a small group, so I was trying to see what some larger user bases found in regards to use. In the end, no matter how much I support something, if no one else does then its basically no better than just burning money.

Top Bottom