XF 2.1 Push notifications

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
On Android it may depend more on the browser version. I think you can use the latest Chrome even on Android 4 or 5.

I can test it though later and report back. Definitely works back to Android 7 at least.

Martok

On Android it may depend more on the browser version. I think you can use the latest Chrome even on Android 4 or 5.

I can test it though later and report back. Definitely works back to Android 7 at least.
It should work on Android 6 too. My tablet is running this and I get browser push notifications from Facebook (I use the web version rather than the app) when using the latest version of Chrome. As you say, as long as you're using Chrome (and not other built-in browsers) it should work on Android.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
does works on all android devices/versions?
It should work on Android 6 too. My tablet is running this and I get browser push notifications from Facebook (I use the web version rather than the app) when using the latest version of Chrome. As you say, as long as you're using Chrome (and not other built-in browsers) it should work on Android.
I can test it in BrowserStack all the way back to Android 4.3 on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I suspected as much, but it does indeed seem to be that as long as you're using a supported browser (this was a very recent version of Chrome) then it will work fine:

1539161278098.png

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
does it mean you are working on some sort of official portal add-on?
Not at all, it just means we're making a version of our existing site (which runs on XF 1.0) in the XF 2.1 code base. It is a XenForo add-on, technically, but those custom aspects are mostly the customer/download/license system and ticket system. And, no, we're not making any of those bits available either ;) It's all built very bespoke to our requirements.

doublespaces

Great news!

Android guy here but we need iPhone support, I hear they are the biggest culprits of not knowing how to use email so notifications are critical ;)

With full disclosure, this is my three letter @me.com email I got with the iPhone 3G. It receives an ungodly amount of spam and has been in this state for a long time:

1539162145353.png

Hopefully a reputable developer picks up the baton for the iPhone part.

Last edited:

doublespaces

Is there a way to view push notification statistics? Subscription statuses? Subscription reminders or retention features?

I'm thinking some of this can come with an addon, just curious what sort of controls would come in the vanilla version.

The Dark Wizard

I can test it in BrowserStack all the way back to Android 4.3 on a Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I suspected as much, but it does indeed seem to be that as long as you're using a supported browser (this was a very recent version of Chrome) then it will work fine:

View attachment 185079
I haven’t been on android in ages but I noticed the first post example doesn’t have a share icon but your example of an older phone does.

How does it look in Android P with the latest version of chrome?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
I haven’t been on android in ages but I noticed the first post example doesn’t have a share icon but your example of an older phone does.
The "share icon" you mention is the user's avatar in the example in the first post.

In the recent example I shared, the user doesn't have an avatar so it falls back to the default metadata logo URL style property.

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
The other customisable aspect is the "bell" icon you can see in both examples.

This actually comes from a new style property. This has to be an image which is single color/alpha color image (essentially a single color + transparency) and we default that to a bell icon, though you can customise it to your own logo if you have an icon that meets that criteria.

The Dark Wizard

The "share icon" you mention is the user's avatar in the example in the first post.

In the recent example I shared, the user doesn't have an avatar so it falls back to the default metadata logo URL style property.
The other customisable aspect is the "bell" icon you can see in both examples.

This actually comes from a new style property. This has to be an image which is single color/alpha color image (essentially a single color + transparency) and we default that to a bell icon, though you can customise it to your own logo if you have an icon that meets that criteria.
Thanks. So when a user has an avatar, it uses that and if not it falls back to the Metalogo?

That’s useful and neat.

RobinHood

Great news!

Android guy here but we need iPhone support, I hear they are the biggest culprits of not knowing how to use email so notifications are critical ;)

With full disclosure, this is my three letter @me.com email I got with the iPhone 3G. It receives an ungodly amount of spam and has been in this state for a long time:

View attachment 185080

Hopefully a reputable developer picks up the baton for the iPhone part.
Yeah, it's a shame we can't whitelist email notifications from certain domains on the iPhone. Then site emails could turn into push notifications.

TimFL

Yeah, it's a shame we can't whitelist email notifications from certain domains on the iPhone. Then site emails could turn into push notifications.
Well you can control push notifications on a per mail account basis. Could technically make a new mail to use as a push notifications aggregator.