Implemented PUSH notifications for XenForo

Alpha1

The responsive design already makes XenForo great on mobile devices. We almost do not need an app. But one thing is missing: Instant PUSH notifications.

If XenForo would have PUSH notifications then users could be notified of new alerts , events on their mobile device, in their browser, etc. This keeps users up to date and pulls off site users back onto the website.

Possibly with the addition of mini-apps.

Last edited:
Upvote 177
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
And it's fine... I certainly see good uses for it. They just aren't "push" notifications is all. They are basically something like XenForo alerts that throw up the notice outside of the browser window.

That's true, but it works very well.

We use it for the ticket system and it works great.

If the ticket system already have the code then @Mike please implement that feature for the next xenForo release, at least in Chrome and Firefox... I don't know about IE, to they support these HTML5 notifications?

I guess it will be a year or two before we can get push notifications that members won't have to buy, that isn't tapatalk.
Somebody somewhere has to pay for the hardware/software to run what does the push. You really think on a shared host this is going to be likely to be done? Maybe to IOS using Apple's API's? but Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, etc?

Somebody somewhere has to pay for the hardware/software to run what does the push. You really think on a shared host this is going to be likely to be done? Maybe to IOS using Apple's API's? but Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, etc?
I think the board admin should pay for the service.

I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
I think the board admin should pay for the service.

I'm okay with that.
Really... your OK with forcing sites that are totally free to the end user to have to pay for something that benefits said end-user. Sorry, I'm not a believer in the welfare state. I believe if you want a feature, then you (as the end user) should be willing to pay for it... either by donation to the site (subscriptions) or by purchasing the interface to do it directly on a market.
I'm already shelling out over $400 a month for totally free services for folks. I think I'm already doing my share. :rolleyes:

Really... your OK with forcing sites that are totally free to the end user to have to pay for something that benefits said end-user. Sorry, I'm not a believer in the welfare state.

More visits = more activity = more ad revenue. :-)

More visits = more activity = more ad revenue. :)
You assume that ads are displayed to members - on my site they aren't, only to guests, so me paying for a push service isn't going to make me more money.

That's fine.... if you use ads. ;)
Not everybody uses them. I'm seriously thinking about removing them from view by all registered users and keep it guest only for display of them.
That's what I do. :D

If you have more activity (more topics etc.), so you can have more visits from Google. You can gain also if you have ads only for guests.

I believe if you want a feature, then you (as the end user) should be willing to pay for it... either by donation to the site (subscriptions) or by purchasing the interface to do it directly on a market.

IMHO is very difficult to charge users for something like that...For the majority of them, the standard alert is sufficient...

If you have more activity (more topics etc.), so you can have more visits from Google. You can gain also if you have ads only for guests.
Er, I don't think it works like that. I hardly think Google will visit my pages more and then pay me more for their Google AdSense! It's real guests that generate the income.

IMHO is very difficult to charge users for something like that...For the majority of them, the standard alert is sufficient...
If the standard alert is sufficient, then those that really want push alerts won't mind paying a few quid for this feature, if thrown in with some other subscriber options. Anyway, many users over the years were happy to pay the money for the Tapatalk app so I'm sure they would do the same for something like Pushover.

Really... your OK with forcing sites that are totally free to the end user to have to pay for something that benefits said end-user. Sorry, I'm not a believer in the welfare state. I believe if you want a feature, then you (as the end user) should be willing to pay for it... either by donation to the site (subscriptions) or by purchasing the interface to do it directly on a market.
I'm already shelling out over $400 a month for totally free services for folks. I think I'm already doing my share. :rolleyes:
Most people on my site post from their phone. They prefer it when 8th has push notifications. Some of them really like Tapatalk as that's what they use to browse a lot of forums. Those who had tapatalk visit less since I can't get it to work right now. They're not getting their notifications. The less member activity I have, means less traffic which causes less ad revenue. So yeah Push notifications are worth me paying for to have on my site. In the past I made enough money from Google Adsense to see the correlation. Push notifications are more than worth it. I do actually have a paid subscription btw and members pay for that yearly, so it's not like they're also not putting money into the site.

More visits = more activity = more ad revenue. :)
Yup!
You assume that ads are displayed to members - on my site they aren't, only to guests, so me paying for a push service isn't going to make me more money.
The ads on my site are also only displayed to guests. Members don't see them. The more member activity you have, the more guests will browse your site cause you have more content and discussions some of which they may be interested in. If your members are like mine and prefer having a push notification service with their browsing experience then they will post more and yes, you will make more money, as I know from personal experience from having it and not having it.

Derp... that's why you don't make it as a stand-alone feature. You make it as part of your subscription benefit (if you are going to pay for all of it yourself). :LOL:
AND...that's my main point. For most users the default are fine. Those that want more should be willing to pay for it. Kinda like going in and ordering a burger and fries and the menu shows a medium fry and you expect the large for free... usually NOT going to happen. ;)

Derp... that's why you don't make it as a stand-alone feature. You make it as part of your subscription benefit (if you are going to pay for all of it yourself). :LOL:
AND...that's my main point. For most users the default are fine. Those that want more should be willing to pay for it. Kinda like going in and ordering a burger and fries and the menu shows a medium fry and you expect the large for free... usually NOT going to happen. ;)
I'm also okay with letting members be able to use push notifications if they buy a paid subscription. I think that can be done with Chris and xFrock's PushOver addon.

Top Bottom