Implemented PUSH notifications for XenForo

Alpha1

The responsive design already makes XenForo great on mobile devices. We almost do not need an app. But one thing is missing: Instant PUSH notifications.

If XenForo would have PUSH notifications then users could be notified of new alerts , events on their mobile device, in their browser, etc. This keeps users up to date and pulls off site users back onto the website.

Possibly with the addition of mini-apps.

Last edited:
Upvote 177
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah not getting my hopes up until it’s announced with iOS 12.
Why not start with desktop push only? Chrome and Safari support them already. Pretty sure a potential iOS push system is going to be very similar to the macOS Safari one, if they ever introduce them.

Yeah not getting my hopes up until it’s announced with iOS 12.

Would push notifications working for iOS with out an app need to be a thing for xenforo to possibly consider this feature?

It would be a huge benefit to all the desktop users and android users who could already natively run this.

Not necessarily but when a feature such as this which is important doesn’t include a very large amount of your user base it can be difficult to justify. There’s potentially technical limitations too in that it would need to bump up the minimum PHP version, though that could be optional and only made available to customers who have a compatible versions.

Probably not worth getting too excited about Safari support. In my testing, although there is Service Worker support, generally, there doesn't appear to be any support for other things like the actual Push API.

Probably not worth getting too excited about Safari support. In my testing, although there is Service Worker support, generally, there doesn't appear to be any support for other things like the actual Push API.
At the very least it could be done like other softwares do it such as IPS where it does it but gives you a message if using an incomparable browser such as Safari.

Maybe integration with PubNub or Amazon SNS is an idea.
This could potentially reach much further than PUSH, but could also be expanded to live refreshing of content without adding load to the server.

I have onesignal push running on my site. It works great, currently have problem with TH Reaction addon in like system. You can check, its instant works on mobile as well as desktop. Some browsers are not supported.

If I could entirely eliminate email and offer push to my users instead I would love to do that. I think the current trend is that the top of their cellphone, not their inbox, is where users are getting their updates from these days.

Hi,
I have used TAZ add-on with OneSignal for a long time with great ressults... but I have also stopped a few months ago due to the fact that the free version of OneSignal seems to be a nightmare in terms of privacy policy and GDPR compliance.
I am very frustrated in not finding a similar add-on and I am ready to pay for that if it is good and compliant with GDPR.
If you know somethink working on XF1, please let me know.
David

Top Bottom