Browser issue Push notifications cause System UI issues on Android 6.0.1

Martok

Affected version
2.1.0 Beta 4
As per the title, when I enable Push Notifications on my Sony Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet running Android 6.0.1 and the latest version of Chrome for Android, I repeatedly get the message:

Unfortunately , System UI has stopped.

If I try to dismiss this, the message continues to pop up and I have to reboot my tablet. This situation then stops until I get another alert, when the cycle will start again. I have tried clearing the cache, cookies and all data from Chrome for Android but to no avail.

I have no problem with push notifications from Facebook (I use m.facebook.com rather than the Facebook app).

I have no problems with push notifications on my Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 8.0 and the latest version of Chrome for Android.

Unfortunately I'm really not sure what would be causing that for you.

I've tried it on Android 5, 6 and 7 (all physical devices) with recent Chrome and they're all working fine.

If you can associate it with any particular pattern that'd be useful. Or is it every notification?

And is it happening here or on your own site?

It'd be useful to know if you can reproduce the same issue in other browsers too. Both Firefox and Edge support push notifications on Android (probably others too) but if you could try one or two of them to see if that triggers it too that'd be ideal.

Aside from that, all I can suggest is disabling notifications and re-enabling them to see if that makes the issue go away.

If you can associate it with any particular pattern that'd be useful. Or is it every notification?

And is it happening here or on your own site?
This happens with every notification that I receive (plus also when I first enable push notifications but stops after reboot). It is happening with this site (I'm still on 1.5 on my site and haven't set up a test for 2.x yet).

Aside from that, all I can suggest is disabling notifications and re-enabling them to see if that makes the issue go away.
I've done this several times already with the same result.

It'd be useful to know if you can reproduce the same issue in other browsers too. Both Firefox and Edge support push notifications on Android (probably others too) but if you could try one or two of them to see if that triggers it too that'd be ideal.
I'll test out with other browsers to see what happens.

I've installed both Firefox and Edge (and push notifications are currently disabled in Chrome).

Firefox I had no issues, I enabled push notifications and that was fine, got the message to say I'd done this.
However with Microsoft Edge, exactly the same thing happened as with Chrome, the Unfortunately , System UI has stopped message appeared and kept popping up, necessitating a reboot (and now they have stopped).

I'll leave push notifications active on Firefox and Edge and see what happens to work out if these issues continue with one or both of these browsers.

Last edited:
I've tested this over the last week and the long and short of it is that it seems to be an issue with my Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet.

More details:

Chrome for Android - enabling alerts gives the Unfortunately , System UI has stopped message (and required the tablet to be rebooted). Any alerts received after that also give the same results.
Firefox - works perfectly
Microsoft Edge - enabling alerts gives the Unfortunately , System UI has stopped message (and required the tablet to be rebooted). Never receives any alerts after this (nor does it receive any on my Samsung Galaxy S7, I guess push notifications don't work on Android).

I then tested on my wife's Xperia Z3 Compact Tablet - no problems at all. Enabled push notifications and these were then subsequently received.

The odd thing is that, even after a factory reset, the issue persists (and yes, I have the same firmware etc as on my wife's tablet). What is also odd is that I don't have any issues with push notifications from other sites - Facebook (I use the web version m.facebook.com) and have enabled them on a few other sites. I'll test these over the next few days just to see if there are any crashes caused by these. I'm just puzzled as to why XenForo (this site) is the only one I seem to be having an issue with.

Top Bottom