Fixed Push notification "The site has been updated in the background"

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has now been resolved and we are aiming to include it in a future XF release (2.1.0 RC2).

Change log:
Fix a situation where the service worker wasn't waiting for a promise to resolve correctly, which potentially causes Chrome to display a "site has been updated in the background" message.
Any changes made as a result of this issue being resolved may not be rolled out here until later.

I wasn't generally able to produce the actual error message, but I could see that if you had a previous notification (using our notification folding system), there was a situation where Chrome might not think that we were displaying a notification. I've adjusted this code now. I would appreciate knowing if you still get this error here (on xenforo.com) at all.

However, one caveat: we need to make sure you have the latest version of the service worker. This will be updated sporadically on its own, but to force it to update now., you can open the Chrome dev tools and go to "Application". Click on "service workers" and then look for one for xenforo.com with the source being service_worker.js. Once you find that, click "update".

I do not have steps to reproduce the bug, "site has been upgraded in background" occurred like 4 times out of 10.

I have updated service_worker on xf.com but I do not follow many topics so let's see if others still face the problem.

Top Bottom