Public Usergroups

I honestly never was a fan of public usergroups.

It can have many-many uses. Some examples: politics, sports, games (such as let's count to 10,000). Some people love these topics, others don't even want to read the titles. Making these public groups, and allowing people to CHOOSE if they want to see these groups or not is a must.

Some people really don't want to see a new post every time the ball gets to someone else in soccer, while others will comment every single minute of a game.

If you like the "let's count to 10,000" game, you will want to post as many messages as possible, others will be totally irritated. The same with an in-forum RPG game.

A political debate can get really ugly pretty soon. Some people live for the joy of this, others don't want to see it at all.

And while I would also like an ignore feature, the ignore feature would just not work here. Ignore only works once you see what you need to ignore. These are topics that some people don't even want to see. Not even the title. Not once.

I think it helps build a more comprehensive forum, too. I can understand arguments that it might fracture the community, but I think the opposite is actually true. Publicly joinable usergroups allow a subset of your community to have sections within a larger forum all to themselves. Otherwise, they'll go off and create their own forum from scratch.

I do not see this feature in the demo nor it being in 1.1, but if it is please let me know. I also don't see it suggested here, but if it is please point me to it :).

Anyways, when creating a user group, I think there should be an option to make the group join able, meaning users can join the group. This makes it so that they can join a group and then be able to access a node that would otherwise be hidden to them, for example. Furthermore, it would be a good idea to have leaders that can approve/deny requests to join them if you wish to decide who can join them. Sometimes you want only certain people, based on age, so approving them would be a good idea. Other times it's a forum you don't want everyone seeing as it annoys some people so joining a group will let people who want to see it can and those who don't want to see the content don't have to join the group.

Thoughts?

Social groups are a seperate thing - this is the user being able to opt-in to particular usergroups.

I'll +1 this, as it would be quite useful for us.

Bit of a massive bump but I'd very much like to see this in XF2.0, coming from vBulletin and previously relying on this feature to let large groups handle their own memberships there was nothing in Xenforo that could fill in the gap. When you're managing groups with daily additions and removals on a large forum it becomes very tedious to simply leave this task up to the general moderation staff.
We found an addon that mimics this functionality and this is currently how we get around this problem, but I'd really like to argue that it would be a valuable core feature for 2.0 and the longevity of addons is not always guaranteed.
The addon in question: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-join-user-group.225/

Being able to delegate this to a couple of users for each group saves a massive amount of work for moderators and lets you entrust users with some extra permissions without giving them actual moderation powers.

Bit of a massive bump but I'd very much like to see this in XF2.0, coming from vBulletin and previously relying on this feature to let large groups handle their own memberships there was nothing in Xenforo that could fill in the gap. When you're managing groups with daily additions and removals on a large forum it becomes very tedious to simply leave this task up to the general moderation staff.
We found an addon that mimics this functionality and this is currently how we get around this problem, but I'd really like to argue that it would be a valuable core feature for 2.0 and the longevity of addons is not always guaranteed.
The addon in question: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/th-join-user-group.225/

Being able to delegate this to a couple of users for each group saves a massive amount of work for moderators and lets you entrust users with some extra permissions without giving them actual moderation powers.
I used to like the feature when I newly migrated to XF. Now my opinion is that it's too niche. I wouldn't want to see this in the core personally, I think it should stay as a feature in a 3rd party add-on.

I appreciate the recent interest in this 7 year old request but from my perspective it's too late now for those of us who used this feature on our vBulletin forums before converting to XenForo. 3rd party add-ons never came close to duplicating this functionality. At this point I don't think I'd add it back after living without it for so long.

I appreciate the recent interest in this 7 year old request but from my perspective it's too late now for those of us who used this feature on our vBulletin forums before converting to XenForo. 3rd party add-ons never came close to duplicating this functionality. At this point I don't think I'd add it back after living without it for so long.

Too late for you perhaps, but not too late for those that still need a solution. I can think of a couple of sites where it would be useful, one of them being a writing site.

Too late for you perhaps...
Of course for me... hence my comment "from my perspective.. I don't think I'd add it back after living without it for so long.". Although I would go on to say that the need for this as a core feature is somewhat less now than it was back in 2010, IMO.

Top Bottom