Public Usergroups?

Make your own? How? And how do members put in join requests? What about the approval process? I'm not seeing any of it. And what of public groups that are imported from vB?

public groups is very vague.
Do you mean public to include {registered, non-minors, ..} or as oppose to not logged in members ?
or non paying members ?
You see what I mean?

I mean public usergroups as vB has them. Members can view them via their UserCP and put in a join request for those they want to join. Approval can be automatic or they can be screened by one or more usergroup leaders. I use them quite a bit on TAZ, for the Big Boards, Launch Team, Exchange, Forum Software Designers, and Coders/Designers groups.

I mean public usergroups as vB has them. Members can view them via their UserCP and put in a join request for those they want to join. Approval can be automatic or they can be screened by one or more usergroup leaders. I use them quite a bit on TAZ, for the Big Boards, Launch Team, Exchange, Forum Software Designers, and Coders/Designers groups.

You mean groups. Sorry I'm kinda lost ...
because as far as I know usergroups are those I mentioned above

Per the vB Usergroup Manager:

If that sentence made sense to you it didn't to me (and I'm not blaming you :D but ...)

This sentence doesn't make sense :D (sorry)
Public custom usergroups are custom usergroups that your users can request to join ....

As to not hijack your thread I apologize for my lack of understanding ...

OK - regular default usergroups are groups that appear by default in a standard installation that members are assigned to, either automatically or manually. Custom usergroups are usergroups you create above and beyond the standard set. Members are still assigned to these either automatically or manually. Public (or joinable) custom usergroups are custom usergroups which members can request to join via their UserCP. Their request is either approved automatically or, if one or more usergroup leaders have been assigned, approved or rejected by the group leader.

For example, on TAZ there is a Big Boards group for admins of forums with more than 350,000 posts. To join the group, members go to their UserCP > Group Memberships page and put in a join request. When I see the request, I check over their information and attempt to make sure they are indeed Big Board admins. If they are, I approve their request and they gain access to the Big Board section of forums. If not, I deny their request.

If you've never seen the system in action, check it out on TAZ or another forum where they are in use. They rock!

If you've never seen the system in action, check it out on TAZ or another forum where they are in use. They rock!

Yes I have actually. I use it... just lost in the terminology .... feature not available I'm afraid with xenforo.

And yes I have never thought about it in my migration check list.
Thanks

Well, theoretically (though not the preferred route), you can set up "User Upgrades" which are only available from the admincp (a price of 1 cent, but if you place a user in via the manual add no charge is made), set the group leaders as administrators with only the user upgrade permissions, and instruct interested users to send a PC to the group leader to be placed in the group. It would allow group leaders to place a user in the new usergroup (or add it as a secondary) without ever touching the user's sensitive data / without giving the leader potentially dangerous extended admincp access.

Not optimal at all, I suggest suggesting the feature, but the above can be a workaround until such a time the feature is implemented.

I like that work around Mr bob. I think that will be the answer to many things for many admins.

Another solution (if sandman is doing the approving) is to simply manually add people into that user group.

Top Bottom